Scoring suggestions

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a golf day coming up gor the charity we set up when my dad died. Going to be stableford scoring in teams of 4 best 2 per hole but any ideas on how to even it out if a team only comes with 3.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you're over thinking this. Best two scores on each hole to count? Then take the best two.....from the three players. Job done.
Also if only two are there it's the best er two from two ie BOTH score. Job done.
If only one turns up in the team put them in with a team that's short handed.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you're over thinking this. Best two scores on each hole to count? Then take the best two.....from the three players. Job done.
Also if only two are there it's the best er two from two ie BOTH score. Job done.
If only one turns up in the team put them in with a team that's short handed.

That's not quite 'job done' as it's still favouring the teams with four. Two of their players can balls up a hole without it mattering whereas only one of the the players on the teams of three can make a Horlicks.

You could say that, in each team of four, they take it in turns for one player to not be scoring. They'd need to decide on the first tee who was sitting out each of the first four holes and then repeat that pattern for all 18. That effectively makes it a complete field of teams of three.

nairn1967

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got a golf day coming up gor the charity we set up when my dad died. Going to be stableford scoring in teams of 4 best 2 per hole but any ideas on how to even it out if a team only comes with 3.

If for example you have 2 x 4 balls and 1 x 3 ball, make the 4 balls play off 3/4 handicap, we use this alot and it works out very evenly..

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it known to be team of four and best 2 scores at each hole count prior to entry and a group shows up with 3 and still choose to enter they take their chances. You are overthinking this.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me it depends how the teams were formed and why they are a player short.

If they enter a 4 and one doesn't show, then tough.

If teams are drawn randomly then you might want to help them in some way.