• Jam, Cream

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Cream, Jam

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s simple. Fat is used to bind things together. It’s tasty glue.

You don’t glue two things together by putting the glue on last.

The Cornish are idiots. 😉

Edit. Fat is also used as moisture barrier between carb and filling. Nobody wants a soggy scone. Except the Cornish. 😂

Edit2. Please note judicious use of emojis for those amongst us (likey Cornish) who can’t read wit, humour or sarcasm.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I cannot vote in the poll because I like a scone, plain or fruit, with butter, then jam, then clotted cream, I will have other cream but I qwont be happy about it.

Teacakes do not contain fruit, a teacake with fruit in is a currant teacake, I am not from West Yorkshire.
The explanation in post #1 allows for your choice 👍.

A tea cake without fruit is a sweet bread bun. Are you sure you are not from West Yorkshire 🤔 😄

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cream tea has been served in the UK since the 11th century and arguments surrounding the order of spreading the scone’s traditional toppings have ruminated ever since.
While those in Devon typically spread the clotted cream first followed by jam, the Cornish tradition is to spread jam first followed by cream.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hers is something that was much debated in my household when I was a boy.

They are both very good, but which do you prefer?

Bara Brith

bara brith.jpg

Or

Clutie Dumpling

clutie.jpg

Now that is how to confuse you English people. :D:D:D

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A tea cake without fruit is a sweet bread bun. Are you sure you are not from West Yorkshire 🤔 😄
It depends on dough mixture. My local bakers shop in West Yorkshire has non-sweet bread cakes (known in Lancashire/Merseyside as baps).
Sweet sticky buns with fruit (similar to M&S hot cross buns). Without fruit they are called teacakes.

But this is what my family has always called teacake
1693139264486.png

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It depends on dough mixture. My local bakers shop in West Yorkshire has non-sweet bread cakes (known in Lancashire/Merseyside as baps).
Sweet sticky buns with fruit (similar to M&S hot cross buns). Without fruit they are called teacakes.

But this is what my family has always called teacake
View attachment 49227
I'd call that tea loaf. Our Welsh friends would class that as Barra Brith. Other names are available 😄

Tea cakes are round, individual items.

Baps, buns, barm cakes. Loads of different, regional, names for individual circles of bread.