• Jam, Cream

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Cream, Jam

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, after a number of posts on another thread I thought this would be worthy of it's own.

With regards to the poll, I didn't add butter to the jam/cream, cream/jam debate but if you do have that, imagine it is part of those options. The point is, jam first, cream first?

Personally, a fruit teacake with lots of butter, strawberry jam, wins the day over all scones but that's me. The best I've ever had were in Devon, utterly wonderful and the kings of teacakes.

Back to scones, in my view:

Fruit scone
Cherry scone
Cheese scone
Pointless (plain) scone 😉

Fill your boots folks

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Fruit scone for preference but don't mind cheese. When I was young the golf club served fruit scones with cheese & jam by default. If you didn't want cheese & jam you had to tell them. I'm still quite partial to scones that way, as well as cheese & marmalade sandwiches

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cream then jam? Or jam then cream? I just can't believe that grown-ups think it makes the slightest difference?
So, for those who think it does - how or why does it? Interested ...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Cream tea, enjoy it whichever way you fancy

My fave is fruit scone, salted butter (has to be salted), clotted cream with strawberry jam on top

The food of kings almost as good as cold ambrosia rice straight out of the tin.
Oh yes 👍😎

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cream/jam or jam/cream makes absolutely no difference to the taste/enjoyment.

But for me, it just makes sense to spread the cream on before the jam - like you would spread butter on first if you were having butter and jam.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Plain scone with cream then jam but just because it’s easier to apply that way. Teacake would be butter and jam. You can see for me that dairy replaces dairy and the jam stays in the same place 😉

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If it’s a scone with high tea, it’s jam then cream.

If it’s a scone by itself, it’s doesn’t even get cut in half but it gets absolutely smothered in butter.

A tea cake must be toasted, lightly, and loads of butter. Definitely no jam.

Not wishing to derail LT’s thread; how is scone pronounced? Is it scONe, or is it scOWN? Sorry but it has to be scONe.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Depends on the consistency of the cream.

Hard clotted cream goes on first, anything soft goes on after the jam. Doing it the other way round just gets messy.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
How's about a new convention ... if it has jam first, then we call it something that rhymes with 'gone' ; if it's cream first the we call it something that rhymes with 'moan'? Or the other way round? I'm sure we could arrive at a concensus. Eventually.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How's about a new convention ... if it has jam first, then we call it something that rhymes with 'gone' ; if it's cream first the we call it something that rhymes with 'moan'? Or the other way round? I'm sure we could arrive at a concensus. Eventually.

A consensus on here? It’s possible Jerry…