Saunton v St Enodoc - discuss....

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Here's the thing.. Looking to move to the coast in the next few years, and be near a decent course.....or buy a holiday home etc

Has anyone been a member of either? What is life like as a member? Or do you get snowed under with day trippers? I guess as Saunton you get a much better 2nd course, but cant decide which course I prefer!

Also, waiting list at St E, but I can get in Saunton right now. (initially as a country member)

Property is cheaper near Saunton, but Cornwall is nicer....

....so asking for the learned folk to hear to add to my understanding! :) Which is better?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sam says Saunton
Gordon says St Enodoc

Personally I think the fact it has 2 courses makes it more appealing and the East doesn’t have any stupid holes like the 10th 😂

Also, I’d imagine St Enodoc May be busier in the summer due to being in a more touristy area? I may be wrong

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Here's the thing.. Looking to move to the coast in the next few years, and be near a decent course.....or buy a holiday home etc

Has anyone been a member of either? What is life like as a member? Or do you get snowed under with day trippers? I guess as Saunton you get a much better 2nd course, but cant decide which course I prefer!

Also, waiting list at St E, but I can get in Saunton right now. (initially as a country member)

....so asking for the learned folk to hear to add to my understanding! :) Which is better?
Cornwall nicer???

D

Deleted member 15344

I would agree with Sam but I haven’t played St Enodoc in a while. It’s a nicer area at St Enodoc but Saunton has some lovely villages near by

As for the courses - Saunton has two very good ones with East excellent and West not too far behind. St Enodoc brilliant

If it was my choice I would go for Saunton

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Or move north of the border and join Machrihanish, Mach Dunes and Dunaverty and have change from £1k!

Not played any of the courses you are looking at but the choice of 2 very good 18 hole tracks would sway me towards Saunton I guess.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sam says Saunton, Gordon says St Enodoc...... therein lies the issue... 2 blokes whose opinions I trust!

I will probably join Saunton as a county member now regardless... Mrs M will get casting vote if we move house anyway! :)
Sam is correct although that is based on just playing as the occasional visitor. As much as I love SE if I was playing regularly I would go for Saunton as it doesn't beat you up so badly plus having 2 full courses is a real bonus.

D

Deleted member 1418

Never played St Enodoc, but I've played both Saunton courses, and also holidayed in Croyde/Woolacombe many times; as well as in Cornwall. I must say that I love both North Devon and Cornwall, but if I had the cash then I'd be looking to buy a place in Croyde every time.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sam says Saunton, Gordon says St Enodoc...... therein lies the issue... 2 blokes whose opinions I trust!

I will probably join Saunton as a county member now regardless... Mrs M will get casting vote if we move house anyway! :)
Just don’t join Trevose

I’ve got a field near me I can put 18 flags if you like

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or move north of the border and join Machrihanish, Mach Dunes and Dunaverty and have change from £1k!

Not played any of the courses you are looking at but the choice of 2 very good 18 hole tracks would sway me towards Saunton I guess.
He wouldn’t get much change from the Galvins he’d have to buy though to play those courses everyday! 😂

Sandsider

Visit site
As an exiled Cornishman and having played both, Saunton gets my vote. Wouldn't consider playing St Enodoc in season, course and roads mobbed with grocks.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not played Saunton, but played St Enedoc quite a few times. Love it - and don't dislike the 10th (consider it a challenge!).

However, access is very awkward by road and choices for 'golf course oriented' homes are limited/expensive (Rock mad; Wadebridge and/or Bodmin also seriously pricey and still that road!). Padstow possible but outrageously expensive and tide-dependent!

So plenty of 'negative' aspects that, even as a committed golfer, would seriously deter me!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
/Emmets! ;) North Devon is not much better in summer.... :) Love living in the Wye Valley, but too far from beaches!
I opened a new account in Monmouthshire a month ago. Called the Mrs on way home and said ‘I want to move there’