Sand Martins

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts, opinions on Sand Martins?
I need to find myself a decent “home” that isn’t too far away
I’m on the doorstep of west hill but unfortunately the joining fee is a deal breaker.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i live by sandmartins and it is only a mile or so from my club. I played last yeart and was very impressed by the greens - best i played last year. There are big plans for hotel and leisure centre but not sure if that will happen post covid. It is a nice course but heard if might by tricky to get tee times at weekends. But i would try and factor in all the costs of travel and do a man spreadsheet to justify West Hill!!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
i live by sandmartins and it is only a mile or so from my club. I played last yeart and was very impressed by the greens - best i played last year. There are big plans for hotel and leisure centre but not sure if that will happen post covid. It is a nice course but heard if might by tricky to get tee times at weekends. But i would try and factor in all the costs of travel and do a man spreadsheet to justify West Hill!!
thanks for the info, one of the things that appeals is the driving range and short game area as I do enjoy spending time practicing.
I played west hill last year, superb course, money no object it’s a no brainer.
Travel doesn’t factor in but I like your thinking ??

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks for the info, one of the things that appeals is the driving range and short game area as I do enjoy spending time practicing.
I played west hill last year, superb course, money no object it’s a no brainer.
Travel doesn’t factor in but I like your thinking ??

i tried to do a man-maths execise when i joined my place. 16 miles less per trip at least = say £4 - double it for depreciation and wear and tear. times by 52 (wish i did 52 games) - and it adds up. Throw in some more cost to equal less time out. Then you have the fact it is walking distance - 2 miles through the woods. Taxi or walk home after the 19th or events and all of a sudden, man maths equallises the costs!! :LOL::cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know Sand Martins well (HID use to work there when Andrew Hall owned it) and it is a nice course and good greens. The biggest issue from my perspective was how many visitors and societies were on the course and how hard it was to book a tee time as a member. Weekend tee times use to go really quickly and at the time (it may have changed now) and so getting a game at a time to suit wasn't a given.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i tried to do a man-maths execise when i joined my place. 16 miles less per trip at least = say £4 - double it for depreciation and wear and tear. times by 52 (wish i did 52 games) - and it adds up. Throw in some more cost to equal less time out. Then you have the fact it is walking distance - 2 miles through the woods. Taxi or walk home after the 19th or events and all of a sudden, man maths equallises the costs!! :LOL::cool:

hows the variance analysis looking on that spreadsheet ;)

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I was a member a few years back before I moved, I really enjoyed it, no issues getting tee times, and the new owners were reducing society’s - plenty of comps and they were v easy to book, the course looks like it’s got even better since I left.

Good club house & members, it was always busy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was a member a few years back before I moved, I really enjoyed it, no issues getting tee times, and the new owners were reducing society’s - plenty of comps and they were v easy to book, the course looks like it’s got even better since I left.

That's good to hear. Clubhouse was always really friendly and decent food. Be good to go back and see how much they've improved the course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh you weren't a member.
You said it was difficult from your perspective getting members tee times.

I did wonder.
I wasn't a member but the wife worked there for over a year and it was a common gripe to the office staff that they've paid their membership and can't play when they want to. I was lucky enough to sometimes get a game with Andrew Hall the owner (or he'd book me in) but when I phoned as a visitor to get a game with mates it was a struggle. It use to be very society heavy, not only in the week but Saturdays as well. I knew it had been sold a while back and sounds like they are working really hard to give members more priority

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

thanks Wilson, out of interest where did you move to?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
What are the reasons for a switch? First and foremost you'll need to make sure you don't just end up with the same problem(s) that are making you shop around

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
What are the reasons for a switch? First and foremost you'll need to make sure you don't just end up with the same problem(s) that are making you shop around
Current club is a crown course, getting tired of the general lack in quality. Fairways are dust in summer and mud in winter, bunkers are poor. I just think it’s time to cough up some more money for a quality course.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was a member of Guildford for 18 months but only played it about a dozen times. Thursday roll up with the old fellas well supported. Did not like the range buying crappy balls and only ever off mats. Course is on chalk so drains fairly well although greens were often temps in winter. People walk their dogs across it never really affected me but some people don't like it. The condition was normally great especially tees and greens and run off area. Was a bit on the hilly side if I was honest.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I was a member of Guildford for 18 months but only played it about a dozen times. Thursday roll up with the old fellas well supported. Did not like the range buying crappy balls and only ever off mats. Course is on chalk so drains fairly well although greens were often temps in winter. People walk their dogs across it never really affected me but some people don't like it. The condition was normally great especially tees and greens and run off area. Was a bit on the hilly side if I was honest.
Hi Parky, I’m glad you chimed in, we often seem to be in the same boat. Thanks for the info on Guildford I think the poor driving range would put me off.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Current club is a crown course, getting tired of the general lack in quality. Fairways are dust in summer and mud in winter, bunkers are poor. I just think it’s time to cough up some more money for a quality course.

The problem you might have is the step up in course is quite a jump, as you've seen with the West Hill cost!

Guildford is very hilly, I do like the course a lot for an odd game but every week would tire me!! My main concern is a Brookwood to Merrow journey has potential to drive you completely mad.

If a driving range is that important, I'm not sure where to suggest. The nicer clubs around here don't tend to have them, or have a very limited one. All built as members clubs long before driving ranges were put into newer course plans.

Don't know much about Sand Martins but looks good from website, might be your best bet

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem you might have is the step up in course is quite a jump, as you've seen with the West Hill cost!

Guildford is very hilly, I do like the course a lot for an odd game but every week would tire me!! My main concern is a Brookwood to Merrow journey has potential to drive you completely mad.

If a driving range is that important, I'm not sure where to suggest. The nicer clubs around here don't tend to have them, or have a very limited one. All built as members clubs long before driving ranges were put into newer course plans.

Don't know much about Sand Martins but looks good from website, might be your best bet
If a range is a big plus then West Hill does have one and an excellent short game area and I think it has to be worth looking at finances and trying to eek out the extra to join. Sand Martins does/did have a range beyond the short game area and 1st tee and it did have a grass area in the summer and mats for the winter

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
If a range is a big plus then West Hill does have one and an excellent short game area and I think it has to be worth looking at finances and trying to eek out the extra to join. Sand Martins does/did have a range beyond the short game area and 1st tee and it did have a grass area in the summer and mats for the winter
Yeah I’ve been down west hill with golf monthly. It’s the perfect place to be honest - Joining fees are the hurdle.