Same Driver/Fairway shafts?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ola!

My 5 wood. I'm killing it off the deck. It goes a mile, high and straight. The shaft comes from the Adams Super S, but with the LS head. Suffice to say, I love the shaft, 'feels' just right. It's a Matrix Radix S VI in regular.

Given my love and adoration for this shaft, would I benefit from the same model shaft in Driver? I only hit the 5 wood off the deck, so I appreciate it is a different shot entirely than pegged up. But would the same shaft in driver and FW offer some consistency?

The shaft in my driver is the stock Ping TFC regular.

Thanks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Quite a few folk use the same basic style (Brand etc) of shaft in both Driver and FWs.

But Driver is often/traditionally 10gms lighter than FWs

I've really only tried 'matching' once - loved a particular FW shaft (Fuji 660TR) and tried the 'matching' Driver shaft but it wasn't a success!

Proper matching Driver shaft would be the Radix S V. Probably tricky to find and relatively expensive though. What is it you particularly like about - mainly from a feel point of view. It's possible that there are other Matrix models that could be suitable - and available at a significantly better price.

I'm a Matrix fan btw! I haven't experienced the Radix line at all - not even the 'older' Blue ones - but have heard only positive comments.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to define the 'feel' and why it works for me so much, but essentially it's solid and feels controlled throughout. I don't need to force it but at the same time never feels light and all over the place. The TFC shaft in driver is ok, but maybe too light as I don't always feel in control of where the club is throughout the swing. Probably more of a technique issue mind.

Last January I was fitted for an X Hot driver with PX 6.0 shaft, but that was too stiff and out on the course it felt like I had to go after it a little. A mid point between the two would be ideal, but I suspect that between the TFC149 and PX 6.0 is a large range!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not tried the TFC149 in a G15, but had a Serrano (in Stiff) and that felt fine. Tried a 'Tour R' (the 'Tour' is low-torque) in a G20 and that would certainly have been very acceptable - better than the Serrano in fact.

Not certain about the 'S' model but the (blue) Radix soft-tipped. It works well for a FW and you will probably not 'lose control' with a Driver. Be aware that what works well for a FW does not necessarily work well for a Driver though!
An alternative, possibly more available, could be a 50gm RUL in R. I have a 60gm R one in a Cleveland T310 that is Ok, but I actually prefer the feel of the Code 8 S that was in the club originally - as it encouraged me to give it a smack! I have a 6M3 Red Tie S that, like you found the Project x 6.0, is just a bit boardy all round.
Another possibility is the Prolaunch Red in R. This is rather different to the S ones, but it is around 60gms just like the TFC149. The torque is less and it's soft-tipped, so 'losing it' is less likely - though you might need to change timing to avoid blocks/fades. Normally quite available and pretty reasonably priced.

Apart from 'getting fitted', the best way to find the one for you is to try plenty out - self-fit.

Last edited: