Sam Snead's Swing

S

Snelly

Following on from James' post about Hogan, I thought I would share an alternative type of swing - that of Sam Snead.

I don't know how to embed a video so can only provide the link. This film shoes Sam's swing and has a few comments from legendary players: Watson, Player, Trevino, Palmer, Nicklaus etc. who are all stating (approximately) that this is probably the best swing ever.

It is certainly my favourite golf swing to watch and I have tried and not necessarily succeeded, to copy it as best I can with my own swing. I have lost count of the number of times I have read and re-read his famous Keys To Golf book. I skipped the putting chapters obviously...

I am not much of a student of the golf swing myself but would say that I think the shoulder turn, hand speed through the ball and overall tempo of Sam Snead's golf swing are the highlights. Such a beautiful rhythm.

[video=youtube;TyCM6PEWceg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TyCM6PEWceg&feature=endscreen[/video]

Note that it is only worth watching for about three quarters of the clip as it then turns into an ad for a golf instructor.

Cheers,

Snelly

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Rhythm is absolutely wonderful.

Again, I wouldn't try to mimic it - as he was incredibly flexible, both naturally and through training. He apparently used to be able to touch tops of doorframes with his foot from a 'standing' platform!

He was certainly my intro to golf though, through a black and white program with him and another Pro and a couple of amateurs I think (Celebrity Golf?).

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I still have my Sam Snead 3 wood (Persimmon), I also copied more his rhythm than technique

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks lovely and then watched the clip when he talks about overswinging and at a good age he still swung beautifully. Going to take my shoes off on the range tomorrow as had a lesson when we did that and reminded me I don't tend to really feel the ground beneath my feet enough through the swing.