Sacked for kicking a Snowman’s head off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Two snowmen where removed from the golf course the next day. Perhaps I should contact the owner and push for a swift reprimand and sacking of the criminal ground staff.
Poor children, how will they cope knowing their snowy friend is no more. Perhaps I could start a donation for a bench.

This outside their house, not on some random property where you would never see it again anyway.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, let's put this all on the Dad who reviewed the CCTV to see what had upset his son so much rather than the utter moron who destroyed property that he had no right to. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Maybe the Dad didn't fancy confronting the idiot & getting the same treatment, or maybe he didn't trust himself not to lamp the spanner & end up in bother himself. Either way, the Dad is not the one in the wrong here.

Nice straw man, I didn't "put it all on the dad", I think both parties are knobs.

He already knew what upset his son, a destroyed snowman. Most parents at that stage would console the kid, build a new one, or do a host of other things, not review CCTV to see the cause.
What the binman did was wrong, but you can hardly call what the dad did right either, and as we know 2 wrongs don't make a right.

No one has won here, someone has a lost a job, and maybe the dad has a small feeling of satisfaction or victory, but his son hasn't magically become happier again or the snowman magically repaired itself. If the dad really cared about the kid, he would have done something that cheered the kid up, unless we suspect a 3 year requested his dad write to the council to get the bad man sacked, and that's why the dad did it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
On the other side of the equation, whether or not what the binman did was right or wrong and whether or not he should lose his job, the boys dad actually went to the effort of reviewing the CCTV footage to find out what happened to the snowman, downloaded it, and emailed it to the council with a complaint. I can only assume this is a result of lockdown boredom. Could he not have just gone and had a word with the binmen outside?

The other interesting bit to me at least, is that the binman is showing more remorse by offering to rebuild the snowman than he would with a fake apology, as it will actually take a bit of effort.

Nice straw man, I didn't "put it all on the dad", I think both parties are knobs.

He already knew what upset his son, a destroyed snowman. Most parents at that stage would console the kid, build a new one, or do a host of other things, not review CCTV to see the cause.
What the binman did was wrong, but you can hardly call what the dad did right either, and as we know 2 wrongs don't make a right.

No one has won here, someone has a lost a job, and maybe the dad has a small feeling of satisfaction or victory, but his son hasn't magically become happier again or the snowman magically repaired itself. If the dad really cared about the kid, he would have done something that cheered the kid up, unless we suspect a 3 year requested his dad write to the council to get the bad man sacked, and that's why the dad did it.

If you think both parties are knobs then why not say as much in your first post; you don't blame the bin man, you blame the Dad. You actually praise the bin man for his refusal to make an apology but rebuild the snowman instead. So you did put it all on the Dad. No straw man here.

The Dad has done nothing that he is not entitled to, the bin man has. If you seriously think that reporting a public facing employee who goes round destroying stuff that is not his, regardless of what it was, is wrong then you need to give your head a shake.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you think both parties are knobs then why not say as much in your first post; you don't blame the bin man, you blame the Dad. You actually praise the bin man for his refusal to make an apology but rebuild the snowman instead. So you did put it all on the Dad. No straw man here.

The Dad has done nothing that he is not entitled to, the bin man has. If you seriously think that reporting a public facing employee who goes round destroying stuff that is not his, regardless of what it was, is wrong then you need to give your head a shake.

I don't blame anyone in my post "whether or not what the binman did was right or wrong and whether or not he should lose his job" is not defending him, or saying he is right. I just point out the dad went over and above in being an arse, and despite claiming it's about the kid, none of his actions that are mentioned in the article relate to improving things for the kid. No blame assigned to any party - F for reading comprehension.

I don't "praise" the binman either, I just point out that offering to rebuild the snowman is more a sign of remorse than just a hollow apology. He actually offers to correct his wrong, which is more than the dad has done in this instance.

Also your claim about what each party is entitled too is not true. The article takes care not to mention or make clear exactly where the snowman was built. It could be a driveway/front garden or it could be a public pavement, it would be different if it was in someone garden or on a driveway, versus on a public path or other such public place. In fact building a snowman on a public path could be more wrong in that it's an obstruction. However we don't know which it is, so we shouldn't really form an opinion.

The article is also very careful to try and make it sound like the binman purposefully did it in front of the watching child to upset him, again that may or may not be true, we don't know.

So actually I'm upping my knob count to 6 to add the 4 journalists it took to write that bit of drivel.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Today a snowman, tomorrow a cat

And if it was a cat, he should lose his job and worse.
Personally he’s a no good bottom feeder and emptying bins is too good for him but past and person aside, Phoning his place of work up because he kicked a snowman is pathetic.
Having his kid pose for a photo for the local paper is even worse - a busybody jobsworth sad act.

A special place in hell for the pair of em

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't blame anyone in my post "whether or not what the binman did was right or wrong and whether or not he should lose his job" is not defending him, or saying he is right. I just point out the dad went over and above in being an arse, and despite claiming it's about the kid, none of his actions that are mentioned in the article relate to improving things for the kid. No blame assigned to any party - F for reading comprehension.

I don't "praise" the binman either, I just point out that offering to rebuild the snowman is more a sign of remorse than just a hollow apology. He actually offers to correct his wrong, which is more than the dad has done in this instance.

Also your claim about what each party is entitled too is not true. The article takes care not to mention or make clear exactly where the snowman was built. It could be a driveway/front garden or it could be a public pavement, it would be different if it was in someone garden or on a driveway, versus on a public path or other such public place. In fact building a snowman on a public path could be more wrong in that it's an obstruction. However we don't know which it is, so we shouldn't really form an opinion.

The article is also very careful to try and make it sound like the binman purposefully did it in front of the watching child to upset him, again that may or may not be true, we don't know.

So actually I'm upping my knob count to 6 to add the 4 journalists it took to write that bit of drivel.

I can see another knob, we’re up to 7 between us.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you hear his ’reason’ for kicking it, he said it was in his way. Not sure how he cleared his route by just removing the head and leaving the rest of the body.
I think there may be more to his previous behaviour but think that the father reporting it to the council was a bit of an over reaction.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So you have insulted the father, the kid, the bin man, and 4 journalists, but spit the dummy when you are called the same.

Hmm.
This thread was specifically about the people involved, hence why I posted my opinion of them, I didn't and won't insult other posters who disagree with me though.

If posting a disagreeing viewpoint makes me a knob then so be it, I'm not "spitting the dummy" at being called a knob, I've been called far worse in life. It's more that personally insulting me adds nothing to the discussion, if people disagree that's fine, but discusison is more interesting when they say why. Playing the ball not the man as they say!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you hear his ’reason’ for kicking it, he said it was in his way. Not sure how he cleared his route by just removing the head and leaving the rest of the body.
I think there may be more to his previous behaviour but think that the father reporting it to the council was a bit of an over reaction.

When you see the video of the kick, his actions don't match up with that either.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Anybody with half a brain knows that kids love snow and having a snowman built for them is something special. This is nothing to do with what we, as adults, think of snowmen.
Anyone should have imagined that it was probably very important to a child.
So, what sort of brain thinks it's a good idea, or a right thing to do, to destroy it?
Would you even think of doing it, believing that some child has, or is, getting a lot of pleasure from it being there.?
Of course you wouldn't. The fact that someone did tells you a lot about them.
There's a callousness about now that seems not to be condemned as it ought.
As for laying some blame on the child's father, well, that too smacks of today's reluctance to lay blame squarely where it should lie.
Someone has now learned that what you do might have a consequence that matters.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Methinks it's likely he wasnt sacked for just kicking the snowman and/or not apologising. More likely that it was a final straw and the employer had had enough of poor/bad/nob-like behaviour at work.

I used to work for a Council and we were very conscious that our service delivery contractors were our shop window. In an instance like this, yes, we would insist on action of some kind - but a single instance of a single employee upsetting a single resident does not amount to a sacking offence. I reckon there is more to it than is reported. Maybe - as a 'for instance' - something such like the lad being called in, told to apologise, and then as a result going off on one & sounding off at his boss. I know from experience that could easily change a minor offence to something like an agency being told to send someone different.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The bin man is an absolute tssosser and it has me very glad that he has lost his job for doing something like that. It is vandalism and has upset a small child in the process.
We as a society need to respect other people and their property a lot more. And if making an example out of a toe-rag like that helps, then I am all for it.