Ryder Cup style competition Golf Days UK v Golfing Days

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got back from a brilliant weekend of competitive golf at Belton Woods in Lincolnshire organised by Golf Days UK who do the Norfolk, Essex and Surrey tours and Golfing Days who run a similar amateur tour in the Midlands. The format was a Ryder Cup style with teams of 12 playing better ball matchplay on the Sunday afternoon on the Lakes Course, followed by dinner, bed and breakfast and then singles matchplay on the Monday morning over the same course. As an added bonus our team was sponsored by Loudmouth Golf with the Golfing Days team sponsored by Royal and Awesome.

It was my first ever competitive team golf and my contribution was 0 points with defeats of 2 and 1 in the 4 balls and 6 and 5 in the singles but despite my best efforts after the two days the Golf Days UK team ran out 11 1/2 - 6 1/2 winners to claim the inaugural "Rose Trophy" named in honour of our US Open victor. Got to say that even though my golf was poor compared to some of the competitors (such as the 20 handicapper who shot 4 over gross on the first day and the 24 handicapper who shot a 7 over gross on the second day) it was the best golf trip I've been on so far. Total cost was £135 for two days golf and dinner, bed and breakfast and included the Loudmouth trousers and a shirt to keep.

Got to give great credit to the organisers and can highly recommend getting involved if it does as planned become an annual event.

Attachments

• Golf Days UK Team.jpg
    Golf Days UK Team.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 61
  • Golfing Days Team.jpg
    Golfing Days Team.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 77

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it was a real shame I couldn't make this, as they really pushed the boat out, but didn't seem to be getting the support numbers anticipated.

sounds like it went well, even if some the the usual suspects saddled up as well!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm registered to go on midlands tour day at Hollinwell in October so I got to hear all about this unfortunately couldn't make this weekend but it did appeal! Glad it worked out well. Another awesome pair of trousers on the forum there springing up everywhere!

jchubs

Assistant Pro
www.golfdaysuk.co.uk
Thank you for your comments Neil.. we are glad you had a great time! Roll on 2014 for another GDUK win!

The thing that we liked about this style of event when putting it together was that us normal amateur golfers don't get the chance to play team golf like this - the buzz it created over the two days was immense!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you for your comments Neil.. we are glad you had a great time! Roll on 2014 for another GDUK win!

The thing that we liked about this style of event when putting it together was that us normal amateur golfers don't get the chance to play team golf like this - the buzz it created over the two days was immense!

How about getting the winning Golf Days UK team together again to take on a Golf Monthly Forum team in a champions of champions event? The only thing I'd be slightly worried about is playing against all the people who can hit it 290 yards uphill into a gale with a 7 iron.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks like great fun --- love the team colours, and the price looks very acceptable.

These people need to organise the GM bash!!!!

jchubs

Assistant Pro
www.golfdaysuk.co.uk
How about getting the winning Golf Days UK team together again to take on a Golf Monthly Forum team in a champions of champions event? The only thing I'd be slightly worried about is playing against all the people who can hit it 290 yards uphill into a gale with a 7 iron.

Love this idea... GM people.. could you get the a team together!?

jchubs

Assistant Pro
www.golfdaysuk.co.uk
This would be a great event, the forum has been missing something like this since the demise of the old England v Scotland fixture.

Excellent, I have emailed Mr Harris this morning to see what he thinks about it.... hopefully something good will come of it and we can get it rolling for sometime later this year...
We had two teams of 12 people which is a good number... I'm sure you guys could get 12 of you together!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Excellent, I have emailed Mr Harris this morning to see what he thinks about it.... hopefully something good will come of it and we can get it rolling for sometime later this year...
We had two teams of 12 people which is a good number... I'm sure you guys could get 12 of you together!

I'm in :D

1) JustOne

(you'll probably have to draw lots for the other 11 players) :smirk: