Ryder Cup Disappointments - Got any?

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
Disappointed..a wee bit... that more is not being made of the Yanks. I think they played and behaved in a true, sportsman like, manner and made this a superb spectacle for us all.

Was it Bubba or Jeff Overton who accused a ref of cheating when his opponent was given a free drop from "spectator damaged ground"? Bernard Gallacher certainly didn't think it was very sporting and told him so and his Dad and his brother who were very aggressive towards him!

Other than that, I'd agree.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
that yet another major event is staged in UK and it's not on terrestrial tv (if the coalition want to change anything - chnage this!)

being at work on Monday, relying on not very 'live updates' (I had three running, inc Beeb, and none were that great). thankfully I stayed plugged into my radio (a dedicated channel with no continual breaks for the same news thank you very much).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Disappointed not to win the GM prize! :D :DActually there was very little I didn't like. I thought the way the US rallied around Mahan at the conference was class. I thought the greenstaff were THE heroes of the whole thing for getting the course playable again and even though I was at work and following it on the internet I stil got that sense of dread once it looked like slipping away.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The wrong side of £150 for 4 hours play and no hint of any compensation like the Sunday spectators had

I thought I heard something on the radio saying that they were giving Friday ticket holders access to the Welsh Open next year.

I could have it wrong, or mixed up, but that's what the guy (Terry something) from Celtic Manor said.

Doesn't help you now, but might be nice next year :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was very, very disappointing not to see Paul Casey playing....

I agree. For me, there were (give or take) 5 heros, 5 solid performers and 2 dodgy guys. But we won, so it's AOK. :)

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The wrong side of £150 for 4 hours play and no hint of any compensation like the Sunday spectators had

I thought I heard something on the radio saying that they were giving Friday ticket holders access to the Welsh Open next year.

I could have it wrong, or mixed up, but that's what the guy (Terry something) from Celtic Manor said.

Doesn't help you now, but might be nice next year :)
TBH I think the Wales Open - even though at £30 it's usually a decent show - is a pretty naff consolation for missing almost a day of the Ryder Cup. Surely they could have offered Monday, even if only on a 'first come first served' basis.
AliB

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I suppose I was a bit disappointed that Europe - or at least Westwood - didn't win th singles considering how well they had done in the doubles. Not that it matters at the end of the day, but I was surprised they ran it so close.
Yes, more credit due to USA - and to Ricky Fowler for the stunning finish.
The other thing is definitely TV coverage- lack of. Highlights were poor. Monday was better, but our PVR failed to record (because it was scheduled as Commonwealth Games) - ended up having to peer at the closing holes using i-player on my laptop!

AliB

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was actually looking forward to seeing the combo of P Mickelson and D Johnson.
DJ's long game and PM's short game was a dream. How wrong was I? lol

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
1. No coverage from the BBC. To be honest, I'd rather we had coverage of the RC than Augusta if I had to choose between the 2.

2. Westy not winning his singles match.

3. Ross Fishers putting (he needs to get Harrington caddying for him and lining up his putts Robert Rock style)!! ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
talking to a mate about this today and he reminded me that there never was any wall to wall coverage on the Beeb even before Sky came along. highlights if you were lucky at some ungodly hour.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
talking to a mate about this today and he reminded me that there never was any wall to wall coverage on the Beeb even before Sky came along. highlights if you were lucky at some ungodly hour.

Sorry but that is wrong. I can remember watching the B&H from Fulford live on Sunday Grandstand when Langer went tree climbing. They often had the UK based tour events on (when there were 5 or 6 per season). THey certainly use to show the Ryder Cup live too especially the Belfry where Torrance holed the putt. I'm pretty sure I've seen itlive fromt he US as well

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
I have three to record.

The first being that as a resort member and waiting for so long to host the competition when it started we had the worst weather we have had for a while which in turn resulted in a lot of negative comments particularly from the Scottish who thought they should have had the 2010 competition.

The second is that as it went into Monday I was unable to attend due to work.

And the third is that it didn't rain for a week before Thursday practice day and that we haven't had a drop of rain since last Sunday, now isn't that sods law.