rules question..

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
i was playing yesterday and on this one hole i had put my drive down the right hand side into the trees, i didnt have a shot into the green so i thought i will just play it out onto the fairway.

I took my shot but didnt catch the line in which the ball went but i knew i connected well with the ball so took it that my ball had gone out onto the fairway.

I walked out of the tree area and asked my playing partner if he seen my ball come over and he said he hadnt seen it, my only guess is that i caught the ball too well and put it out of bounds over on the left hand side. By this time i was around 150 yards down the fairway.

My question is what should i have done and how many shots would i have lost??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Drop another where you last played from and add a stroke. So as your drive finished behind the trees, your 2nd went OB so you drop another - that makes 3 and you're playing your 4th shot.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you can't find it it's lost, and if you want to continue playing the hole you go back to where you hit your previous shot from and add 2 penalty shots.

So if chipping out of the trees was your 2nd shot, you go back to the same spot, drop another ball where you played from and then hit your 4th shot.

Happened to me on our 9th last week in out club champs but I was so far out of it by then I NR'd the hole and carried on just playing for my handicap and the 2's sweep.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
think Region 3 made a typing error, the penalty is ONE shot, your drive, the lost ball shot, + 1 pen, now playing 4 as he said but remember pen is 1 not 2.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, penalty is 1 if you count the stroke that hit the lost ball, but I hope what I said was understood.

I always think of it as add 2 to your score and hit from the same place again i.e. 3 off the tee.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Happened to me on our 9th last week in out club champs but I was so far out of it by then I NR'd the hole and carried on just playing for my handicap and the 2's sweep.

Our 2's sweep does not pay out on n/r, regardless of at what point you had the two. Bugs me, so I won't go in it.