rules query

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
hello all

I was playing at the weekend and was driving off on a par 5. My drive went dead left and looked like it went straight over the fence and lost to the golfing gods. So I tee'd up again and flushed a drive straight down the fairway. When I got up to where my original ball went over the fence I saw it sitting amongst the trees. It would have been an impossible shot. Was I allowed by the rules to deem that ball unplayable and use my 2nd ball I teed off? or do I have to take my original ball back to the tee in this instance? oh and there was no other drop available to me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends what you mean by "tee'd up again". If you did not properly declare the second tee shot as a provisional (and 'Whoops, looks like I need to reload' is not a proper declaration), then the instant you hit it the first one was lost. It makes no difference if the first one was actually sitting up in the middle of the fairway or anywhere else.

If you did properly declare the second tee shot as a provisional, then once the first one was found, the provisional was no longer valid and must be picked up. However, if you played the provisional from a point closer to the hole than where the first one is later found, the provisional is then the ball in play and the first one is lost.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Ethan

I think I understand you that if I declare it provisional I still have the option of finding/playing the original. If I dont declare it provisonal then the first ball is immediately out of the game.

If I declare my 2nd ball provisional but then find my original and then deem it unplayable is my only option to go back to the tee to replay the shot (with penalty of course)? I cant play the provisional which was a replay of the shot?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ethan

I think I understand you that if I declare it provisional I still have the option of finding/playing the original. If I dont declare it provisonal then the first ball is immediately out of the game.

If I declare my 2nd ball provisional but then find my original and then deem it unplayable is my only option to go back to the tee to replay the shot (with penalty of course)? I cant play the provisional which was a replay of the shot?

You are correct I believe

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you find your first ball and it's unplayable. you cant use your provisional, you must go back and hit another if there's no other option of dropping

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If you find your first one and deem it unplayable you have more options:

You can go back to the tee and play 3 off the tee

You can take a penalty drop

You can, under penalty, play stroke and distance

It may be any, some, or all of these options will suit the circumstances you find yourself in

Chris

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ethan

If you find your original but deem it to be unplayable yes you can go back to the last point that you played the shot from (in this case the tee).

This is not your only option if the ball is found in bounds but unplayable. You can draw an imaginary line from where your ball came to rest and the pin. Extend that line and go back as far as you like ( on that line) to drop the ball. Keeping the point where your original shot came to rest in line between you and the pin. Or take a drop within 2 club lengths not nearer the hole. All for a penalty of 1 stroke of course.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
sawtooth and christ thanks for the replies. I understand I can go back to the tee and replay but my main query was whether I could instead of going back to the tee to replay the shot I could use the provisional ball I teed off as it was essentially a replay of the shot.

What is the "play stroke and distance" penalty rule?

Ps I had no option to go back in a line between pin and ball as it would have took me into a field.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
but my main query was whether I could instead of going back to the tee to replay the shot I could use the provisional ball I teed off as it was essentially a replay of the shot.

I understood that JD but some of the other posts could have led others to believe that going back to the tee was the only option and I wanted to show that there were others available.

The stroke and distance is a one shot penalty, effctively the same as going back to the tee and taking a drop.

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once the provisional is taken out of play (by finding the original one in bounds, even if unplayable), then the provisional is forgotten and the player simply proceeds according to the rules for an unplayable ball with the original.

cheezburga

Club Champion
Visit site
sawtooth and christ thanks for the replies. I understand I can go back to the tee and replay but my main query was whether I could instead of going back to the tee to replay the shot I could use the provisional ball I teed off as it was essentially a replay of the shot.

Ps I had no option to go back in a line between pin and ball as it would have took me into a field.

If you find the original (and assuming it is still in play) then the provisional is irrelevant - the only thing you can do with the provisional is pick it up. The only time(s) you can use it is if the original isn't found, or if it is out of bounds.