Rules query

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a situation that I would like advice with.
Playing my second shot today into our 10th green I hit it over a water hazard (yellow stake) but was unsure if the ball had then rolled to the left into a lateral hazard (red stake). To make things more confusing the yellow stakes actually continue around to the left a few yards past the water hazard. None of my playing partners were sure if the ball had rolled into the lateral hazard but we were reasonably sure that it made it over the actual water hazard.
So I continued to treat as if the ball had entered the water hazard so played a provisional from the line of entry (and not same spot). At this point I was still hoping to find the original ball.

When we got over the other side we could not find the ball. My playing partner suggested that because it was possible that the ball was lost in the lateral hazard I should have played the provisional in the same spot as the original.

Was I in the wrong to play the provisional in line of entry to water hazard?

Thanks for help

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Taking a provisionl ball does not apply as you were all certain it was either in a water hazard or a lateral.
I will leave it for others to say which of the two you apply and then taking the rules penalty etc.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit it over a water hazard (yellow stake) but was unsure if the ball had then rolled to the left into a lateral hazard (red stake).

None of my playing partners were sure if the ball had rolled into the lateral hazard but we were reasonably sure that it made it over the actual water hazard.

As no-one was sure that it was definitely in a hazard, and you couldn't find it, then it was a lost ball and you should have replayed the shot under penalty.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I hit it over a water hazard (yellow stake) but was unsure if the ball had then rolled to the left into a lateral hazard (red stake).

None of my playing partners were sure if the ball had rolled into the lateral hazard but we were reasonably sure that it made it over the actual water hazard.

As no-one was sure that it was definitely in a hazard, and you couldn't find it, then it was a lost ball and you should have replayed the shot under penalty.

Yes, it has to be "virtually certain" that the ball is in the hazard. If it may have been in between then it has to be treated as a lost ball. You don't say how big the area between the hazard is or if it was cut very short. If it was quite narrow and cut to a low height (ie there was no way the ball could be in that area without being seen) and the ball could not be found there it would then be considered "virtually certain" to be in a hazard (this is covered in a decision explaining what "virtually certain" means) but the question would be "which hazard?". I'd argue that in equity you should have the option of dropping under penalty behind the first hazard in these circumstances as dropping to the side of the lateral may be giving yourself an advantage.