Rules Query

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played my 3rd into the par 5 ninth yesterday and it missed close right, took an evil kick off the top of a bunker and bounced into a huge bushy tree. I hit a provisional (onto the green as they always do lol), one of the guys found the original deep in the middle of the tree.

The ball was almost impossible to get out never mind play, I declared the ball unplayable and marked the position with a tee, at some personal cost (still got the nettle stings to prove it).

2 club lengths didn't get me out of the tree, could I have taken stroke and distance? and gone back to where I played the original shot from?

What I did do was drop it 2 club lengths, still in the tree and manage to at least get a club on it to get it out of the thick.

So after a penalty drop, a hack and a chip I was finally free of the tree and carded an 8 :(

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Unplayable ball you have three choices

1/ Drop within two club lengths no nearer the hole

2/ Keeping the position the ball was in (the tree), between you and the hole go back on a line as far as you want.

3/ play the shot again from the spot you played your original shot (the one that finished in the tree) the important thing to remember is you can not play your provisional ball, you have to go back and play your original ball from the spot again.

All the above are under penalty of one stroke

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah right, I knew I couldn't play the provisional, but was unsure what options were open to me, but was pretty sure that the one I took was ok.

Thanks Freddie, as ever a swift and concise response from the forum :)

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
What about option 4? After your first drop (without playing a stroke) deem it unplayable and take another penalty drop. 2 Clubs lenghts nonearer the pin.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Firstly: why?
Because you might not be able to do option 2 and you might not want to go back to where you played the shot from.

Secondly: that is not option 4 that would be back to option one

I called it option 4 because some people don't realise you can do this. (2 penalty drops)

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
You is crazy man that's crazy talk

OK Freddie, I've just hit my absolute Sunday best drive 280+ down the right hand side of the fairway. This leaves me the perfect line in on this par 5 dogleg. When I get to where I thought my ball should be I can't find it. After a quick search I find it, and it's about 3 club lengths in the gorse.

I can't do option 2 because the gorse runs all the way down the right hand side, and it's OOB behind it. Option 3 gives me a 300 yard walk back to the tee, to be playing 3 off the tee. I go for option 1, mark my 2 club lengths and drop, the ball is now technically in play. I deem it unplayable, mark another 2 club lengths (this now brings me into the open) drop, and now I'm in play sitting there for 3. I'm probably better off than if I would have gone back to play 3 off the tee.

So would you call that crazy....or good course management?

;) :p