Rules Match v Stroke

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can anyone refer me to the logic behind some of the differing rules for matchplay & strokeplay

I'll use the example of playing tee shot from inches outside the teeing ground

• Match-play, shrug & wait to see if asked to replay by oppo but either way no penalty
  • Stroke-play, 2 shot penalty plus stroke & distance followed by 20 lashes delivered by oppo with birch twigs across the bare leg

Ok so I added the twig bit but you get the idea. The 'crime' is the same, as is any potential for advantage so why the 3 shot difference in punishment?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
In stroke you are playing against the whole field, so the penalty is absolute and should be equitable.

In Matchplay your opponent is the only one that would care about the rule broken, and as such his strategy could be to penalise you by making you play the resulting shot (eg you just sliced it into the woods), or to make you play again (may be hit one down the middle and your replayed shot could be in the woods).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In stroke you are playing against the whole field, so the penalty is absolute and should be equitable.

In Matchplay your opponent is the only one that would care about the rule broken, and as such his strategy could be to penalise you by making you play the resulting shot (eg you just sliced it into the woods), or to make you play again (may be hit one down the middle and your replayed shot could be in the woods).

That does seem to have some logic to it (& while I'm not suggesting penalties should be incremental based on the size of the field) but match-play can be team against team which would suggest the oppo is not the only person who might care in that format

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just checking and for stroke-play it reads as though the original tee shot doesn't count but the 2 shot penalty does!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can anyone refer me to the logic behind some of the differing rules for matchplay & strokeplay

I'll use the example of playing tee shot from inches outside the teeing ground

• Match-play, shrug & wait to see if asked to replay by oppo but either way no penalty
  • Stroke-play, 2 shot penalty plus stroke & distance followed by 20 lashes delivered by oppo with birch twigs across the bare leg

Ok so I added the twig bit but you get the idea. The 'crime' is the same, as is any potential for advantage so why the 3 shot difference in punishment?

As a tangent to the above scenario...
We were discussing the rules and etiquette involved when you see someone teeing up a couple of inches in front of tee markers (most cases done by accident), specifically in matchplay.
We agreed that it's pretty low ( but within the rules) to allow someone to carry on and hit their tee shot when you notice that have teed up "forward", but some will do so.
We also discussed if someone accuses you of doing so - after you have hit the shot- it's basically your word against theirs unless your tee remains stuck in the the ground to mark the position.

I understand that your opponent can ask you to retake the shot (esp if it was a great one!) and they may decide keep quiet if it was rubbish.
But
If I hit a bad shot, then see that my tee peg is still sitting in the ground in front of tee markers, can I insist that I can replay my shot?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As a tangent to the above scenario...
If I hit a bad shot, then see that my tee peg is still sitting in the ground in front of tee markers, can I insist that I can replay my shot?

Don't think you can I'm afraid. The player would continue with the ball that was played....... (this scenario is specifically referenced on the FAQ for this rule which I found when looking it up for my point) unless as mentioned the oppo requests it

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think you can I'm afraid. The player would continue with the ball that was played....... (this scenario is specifically referenced on the FAQ for this rule which I found when looking it up for my point) unless as mentioned the oppo requests it

We didn't think that I could in that scenario, but you know how we like to push our luck!