Rules Advice Please...

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In today's medal on of my playing partners ended up on some wooden decking that has been built over part of a pond on our 13th hole. The hazard is clearly marked and all of the decking is contained inside the hazard.

He elected to use his putter and in addressing the ball he grounded his club i.e. he rested it on the wooden decking. I told him that it was a 2 shot penalty. He had already taken 4 shots on this par 4 and had played really badly upto here so he decided to pick up and NR.

Was the 2 shot penalty correct? Or are you allowed to ground your club on a man made structure in a water hazard?

D2

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i think your correct, the rules clearly state that when in the hazard you are not allowed to ground your club, and as the decking was in the area marked as hazard you were right to point out that it was a 2 shot penalty :)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You own him an apology. There is no penalty. This is an example of how knowing the rules can save you strokes because this is a common misconception and is probably applied every week somewhere in the country.

This would be classed similarly to a bridge over a water hazard.

Decision 13-4/30

Q. A player's ball lies on a bridge over a water hazard within the margins of the hazard when extended upwards. May the player ground his club?

A. Yes. A bridge is an obstruction. In a hazard, the club may touch an obstruction at address or in the backward movement for the stroke – see Note under Rule 13-4. Touching the bridge prior to address is also permissible, since an obstruction in a water hazard is not “ground in the hazard”.
This applies even if the bridge has been declared an integral part of the course.

Also under the note to rule 13-4

Note: At any time, including at address or in the backward movement for the stroke, the player may touch, with a club or otherwise, any obstruction, any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course or any grass, bush, tree or other growing thing.

So the decking is either classed as an obstruction or deemed as an integral part of the course and either way club may be grounded.

Definition of obstruction:
An "obstruction" is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured ice except,

a. Objects defining out of bounds, such as walls, fences, stakes and railings;

b. Any part of an immovable artificial object that is out of bounds; and

c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This happened on TV (Wentworth I believe) when a player (may have been Westwood) grounded his club on a bridge.
Someone contacted the BBC to report him for the penalty and Peter Alliss had to explain why it wasn't a penalty on the air.

Disclaimer
It may have been a different course and a different player :eek: ;)

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This happened on TV (Wentworth I believe) when a player (may have been Westwood) grounded his club on a bridge.
Someone contacted the BBC to report him for the penalty and Peter Alliss had to explain why it wasn't a penalty on the air.

Disclaimer
It may have been a different course and a different player :eek: ;)

Now you've mentioned that it does ring quite a large bell. I think your right, in all counts...

cheezburga

Club Champion
Visit site

Disclaimer
It may have been a different course and a different player

It was Greg Norman at Sawgrass you old goat
;) ;) ;)

Maybe, maybe, but definitely happened to Westwood too - just can't remember when/where