Rule question regarding tee off order.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a stableford comp on Sunday and I tee off 2nd in our 3 ball. Me and the bloke that teed off after me got a nett par and the bloke that teed off first picked up and n/r. On the 2nd I teed my ball up first and got told we still tee off in the same order as the first as I hadn't won the hole or something?

I didn't question it at the time as I wasn't 100% sure but I thought if you n/r on a hole you lose the honour on the next tee, unless obviously everyone else n/r.

So could anyone clear this up for me?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The way you describe it sounds about right, however did the guy get worked up about it? It only matters to me in matchplay....

chiv

Club Champion
Visit site
Bozza I think you were right to tee it up 1st. The 1st bloke didnt score..end of. You had teed off 2nd and were then 'in the chair'. If you're a team it doesnt matter and its 'whose ready?' but singletons should follow the honour..yours on this occasion

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way you describe it sounds about right, however did the guy get worked up about it? It only matters to me in matchplay....

Nah it was actually the bloke that also got the nett par on the first that brought it up and kinda just politley said " you do know we still tee of in the same order as the first as you missed your birdie put so didnt win the hole"

chiv

Club Champion
Visit site
sounds like he was politely saying crack on but you're not strictly playing 'with the honour' until you win the hole outright (points wise with stableford)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think this was covered here or in the mag , as far as i know its the best nett score on the hole has the honour ..im with Chris on this one it only matters in matchplay .. the way we play it is if your ready to play then bang away , if i play with strangers i just say to them , guys im not one for honours if your ready to play play , how do ye lads feel ..?depends on their answer then .. the guy that didnt score in the OP shoulda been last if he is that worried bout honours etc .. also if the guy /guys playing with me are shorter off the tee & the group ahead are still up the fairway (out of their range) we would play out of turn to keep things moving along

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in a stableford comp on Sunday and I tee off 2nd in our 3 ball. Me and the bloke that teed off after me got a nett par and the bloke that teed off first picked up and n/r. On the 2nd I teed my ball up first and got told we still tee off in the same order as the first as I hadn't won the hole or something?

I didn't question it at the time as I wasn't 100% sure but I thought if you n/r on a hole you lose the honour on the next tee, unless obviously everyone else n/r.

So could anyone clear this up for me?

Not that it really matters, but if some tosser - polite or otherwise - challenges who has the honour in a Stableford, ask him to read rule 32-1.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Not that it really matters, but if some tosser - polite or otherwise - challenges who has the honour in a Stableford, ask him to read rule 32-1.

I'd say this is one of the most abused rules. Certainly round here if I have the honour and get a par then my mate gets a par with a shot and 3 points, he never takes the tee. That said I've played were even in a medal, if there's no outright winner the honour doesn't change which again is in breach of the rules technically. But as above it only really matters in matchplay and there's no penalty in stroke play...... strange though how different areas tend to do their own thing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Didn't Jezz come up with this a few months back..?
In a stableford comp, the player who scores most points tees off first.
So if I par a hole with no shot for 2 points but Fragger bogeys it with 2 shots for 3 points then Fragger would tee-off first on the next.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Didn't Jezz come up with this a few months back..?
In a stableford comp, the player who scores most points tees off first.
So if I par a hole with no shot for 2 points but Fragger bogeys it with 2 shots for 3 points then Fragger would tee-off first on the next.

Yes, he should according to the rules of golf but I'd doubt if many actually play to this. Certainly in this neck of the woods he'd not be on the tee. I'm not saying that's right but I think it's a often a regional thing as to how the honour is determined despite the rules which (on this occasion) are actually quite clear !!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Know what you mean. I've always played to the lowest gross has the honour - anything else doesn't quite seem right.

As if it matters in Strokeplay anyway

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've always been led to believe that as you are playing a Stableford which is a points scoring game the player with the better points score on the previous hole tees off first.
For example, James tees off first on the 1st and pars it without a stroke, 2 points. I par it with a stroke and get 3 points so it's my honour on 2nd.
In any game I've played, a guy not scoring on a hole where the other two did would automatically be bringing up the rear on the next tee.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
STROKE PLAY

Rule 10/2
"The competitor with the lowest score at a hole takes the honour at the next teeing ground".

Exceptions...
Rule 32/1
"In handicap bogey, par and Stableford competitions, the competitor with the lowest net score at a hole takes the honour at the next teeing ground".

MATCH PLAY
The side that has the honour at the first teeing ground is determined by the order of the draw. In the absence of a draw, the honour should be decided by lot.

The side that wins a hole takes the honour at the next teeing ground. If a hole has been halved, the side that had the honour at the previous teeing ground retains it.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always been led to believe that as you are playing a Stableford which is a points scoring game the player with the better points score on the previous hole tees off first.
For example, James tees off first on the 1st and pars it without a stroke, 2 points. I par it with a stroke and get 3 points so it's my honour on 2nd.
In any game I've played, a guy not scoring on a hole where the other two did would automatically be bringing up the rear on the next tee.

Aye agree with that , spot on.

Sometimes here whoever is ready to hit goes for it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Lowest gross takes honour, keep it simple, it's hard enough remembering all the shots, penalties etc etc without having to check stroke index then points gained just to work out who duffs the next one first lol

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well it seems as though as i was right then.

It just confused me abit when he mentioned that i "didn't win the last hole"

If he had been arsey with me about it i would have maybe argued the point but he was decent bloke so i just let it pass.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are two ways of interpreting the Rule. One is that unless the hole is won outright (in gross score for stroke or by points in stableford), the honour doesn't change. So it two players have the same gross score in a stroke event, or same points in stableford, the honour remains as it was on the previous tee, even if the guy who had a blob retains the honour. There was a rules dispute to this effect involving Nick Faldo a few years ago, and Faldo asserted that this was the correct interpretation. I can't remember how the official ruled.

The other is simply that you re-order the honour by stroke or points on every tee.

The best one is that the first person ready to play does so and moves the damn game along a bit faster.