Royal Portrush Opens

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes totally aimed at (mainly) American tourists ticking off names but I believe they should still offer GUI rates! My place is €200 I believe for a tourist but a GUI member can play it anytime for €80 or if you play in one of our regular opens it’s €40

They certainly should be offering GUI rates as those green fees are suggesting they don't want your custom.

Zig

Visit site
Just checked websites of Tralee, Ballybunion, Waterville & Dooks for prices and first 3 are €250 and Dooks €150!! That’s €900 for 4 rounds of golf! No mention of opens apart from a scratch cup which rules out 3 of our 4ball.
No concessions for GUI members as I asked the question last year when contacting the clubs about organising a trip down there.

Add in travel, accommodation, food and beers and it’s definitely cheaper for us to go to Florida for example rather than stay here in Ireland

Agree totally. I've been going over to the 'island of Ireland' from NE England for the last 20 years. Have a mate who lives in the north, and we use that to play wherever we can. Have never got down to the SW corner cos of the cost of the courses. Have found Donegal and the west much better value (Murvagh, Rosses Point, Carne, Enniscrone, Rosapenna, Ballyliffin etc), with awesome tracks. Have squeezed in places like Portrush and RCD in the north, and the European Cub and Portmarnock in their 'shoulder' season too. But it looks like the SW isn't priced for visitors from GB.

Zig

Visit site
Yes totally aimed at (mainly) American tourists ticking off names but I believe they should still offer GUI rates! My place is €200 I believe for a tourist but a GUI member can play it anytime for €80 or if you play in one of our regular opens it’s €40

These people on twitter seem to have some great deals for people north and south of the border this summer due to the lack of tourists... might help.
fairwaysandfundays.com

The Lion

Visit site
Hi guys. I’m new on here...have been lurking during lockdown and thought it was time to contribute!

I agree with the sentiments above about high green fees in Ireland; it looks like Scotland is going the same way atm, often with no discounts for locals, let alone other Brits. However hopefully the pandemic and its aftermath may well bring about changes and see a renewed focus on these islands’ golf unions working together with each other and more affordable golf rates for islanders becoming a thing.

On opens, the Portrush one looks like a fairly decent deal, though still pricey. Hopefully the RCD Mourne Open will return for next year, or they’ll introduce some for this season.

As for Ballybunion, they have a Captain’s Charity Day at the end of August, which I think is open to visitors. Looks like a good deal too, benefitting good causes while only charging €60 for the Old, and €40 for Cashen. However it’s filled up fast this week and there’s only one Old spot left now...

https://ballybunion.intelligentgolf.ie/competition.php

This said, there’s some good info in this Irish Times article, with Portmarnock and Old Head set to give GUI members deals, and possibly Brits too:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/five-great-deals-for-irish-golfers-at-top-courses-this-summer-1.4301626

If you love Ireland and Irish golf, like with Scotland the best deal is to join a local golf club. There are some great deals for “overseas” members, all of which will get you GUI membership and with it more reasonable rates.

There are also various life memberships available on the west coast links especially, many of which would work well if you have just over two week trip a year.

Hope that’s all useful...

Cheers ⛳

Reactions: Zig