Royal Portrush Opens

Zig

Visit site
Royal Portrush are advertising a selection of Opens this summer almost 100 cheaper than their regular green fee. Booking opened this morning. Just got myself booked in for August... can't wait!

Have played it once before and started 3, 3, 3.... you wouldn't believe how excited I was. A 7 at the fourth brought that little run to an abrupt halt! Looking forward to next month!

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seen that last night and had I not already played there 3 times I would have been tempted!

It’s probably my favourite course since the 2 new holes were added which in my opinion edged it ahead of RCD.

Enjoy it when it comes round and you’ve set your self an almighty target to beat a 3,3,3 start ?

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Visit site
I seen that last night and had I not already played there 3 times I would have been tempted!

It’s probably my favourite course since the 2 new holes were added which in my opinion edged it ahead of RCD.

Enjoy it when it comes round and you’ve set your self an almighty target to beat a 3,3,3 start ?

Haha... I'm realistic enough to know it was a one-off start Could have sold it to Rory last year for a lot of money ;) Plus, I think they moved the green back on the second 50 yards for The Open so reaching it in two isn't happening!

Can't wait to play the new holes - 17/18 on the old layout were definitely less impressive compared to the previous 16.

I change my mind frequently about the RP/RCD debate.
Obviously RP has improved due to the 2 new holes. And 4/5/6 is a spectacular run, and then holes like Calamity on the back nine. Plus the views, the beach at the back of the 5th, the castle ruins....
And then I visit RCD, and just love the drive in, the grandeur of the clubhouse, and think if you started on the 10th and played the 9s in reverse, it would unquestionably be the best course ever. What a finish the 'front' 9 would be. And the hotel, mountains....

Can we just agree they're both amazing, and courses you'd never grow tired of? For me, as good as anything in GB&I... excited already!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haha... I'm realistic enough to know it was a one-off start Could have sold it to Rory last year for a lot of money ;) Plus, I think they moved the green back on the second 50 yards for The Open so reaching it in two isn't happening!

Can't wait to play the new holes - 17/18 on the old layout were definitely less impressive compared to the previous 16.

Obviously RP has improved due to the 2 new holes. And 4/5/6 is a spectacular run, and then holes like Calamity on the back nine. Plus the views, the beach at the back of the 5th, the castle ruins....
And then I visit RCD, and just love the drive in, the grandeur of the clubhouse, and think if you started on the 10th and played the 9s in reverse, it would unquestionably be the best course ever. What a finish the 'front' 9 would be. And the hotel, mountains....

Can we just agree they're both amazing, and courses you'd never grow tired of? For me, as good as anything in GB&I... excited already!

Tralee is better than both. :whistle:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Both fantastic courses but for me RCD has a few average holes that Portrush doesn’t now with the new holes! All about opinion of course but 6,12,14 & 17 at RCD are weak compared to the rest of the course and now at Portrush only perhaps 17 is the only weak hole on the course!

Liverbirdie- I cant comment on Tralee as haven’t played it, or in fact any of the big names down the south west. They aren’t exactly welcoming with their green fees and unlike RCD & Portrush don’t offer any discounts to GUI members!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Royal Portrush are advertising a selection of Opens this summer almost 100 cheaper than their regular green fee. Booking opened this morning. Just got myself booked in for August... can't wait!

Have played it once before and started 3, 3, 3.... you wouldn't believe how excited I was. A 7 at the fourth brought that little run to an abrupt halt! Looking forward to next month!

There used to be, possibly still is, a Mourne Open Week, the week before or after The Open Championship, with a series of events, medal, vs par, fourball etc.

The Mourne Golf Club is the 'town' course that plays at Royal County Down, so the Open Week offered a game on RCD prepared in perfect condition at a considerable discount. Great that RP is now doing the same sort of thing. Plenty of Donegal courses offer roll up Opens during summer too.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Both fantastic courses but for me RCD has a few average holes that Portrush doesn’t now with the new holes! All about opinion of course but 6,12,14 & 17 at RCD are weak compared to the rest of the course and now at Portrush only perhaps 17 is the only weak hole on the course!

Liverbirdie- I cant comment on Tralee as haven’t played it, or in fact any of the big names down the south west. They aren’t exactly welcoming with their green fees and unlike RCD & Portrush don’t offer any discounts to GUI members!

I hear you on the fees.

Someone said to me that RCD pees all over anything else in the UK and Ireland, and I thought once you get to the top 10 its only small differences so doubted that assessment, but did think that RCD was outright number one, at first. I also thought Portrush was boss, but for me Tralee is my favourite. Waterville gets better and better as the round goes on, but has an average start, albeit just a few holes.

Tralee is a hybrid of 2 links types, 6-7 of the front 9 play along bare clifftops, but the back 9 has 7 holes in a dune system, all with great views of the near and distant landscape.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
RCD and RP are both terrific courses. For me, I agree RCD has a couple of weaker holes, but for me it also has the best holes. If you have to choose one of them, there is no wrong answer, though.

Tralee is a great course too, but I couldn't seriously include it in the same conversation as the two Norther boys. To me, Tralee is in the same conversation as really good courses like Portstewart or Ballyliffin.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RCD and RP are both terrific courses. For me, I agree RCD has a couple of weaker holes, but for me it also has the best holes. If you have to choose one of them, there is no wrong answer, though.

Tralee is a great course too, but I couldn't seriously include it in the same conversation as the two Norther boys. To me, Tralee is in the same conversation as really good courses like Portstewart or Ballyliffin.

Yeah no wrong answer and as I say all about personal opinion and I’d happily play either of them at the drop of a hat!

LB- would love to get down the south west and play the big names but as I say they price themselves out of our range which is frustrating especially as my place has regular opens and a GUI member can play either of our courses for €40 which is a steal!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah no wrong answer and as I say all about personal opinion and I’d happily play either of them at the drop of a hat!

LB- would love to get down the south west and play the big names but as I say they price themselves out of our range which is frustrating especially as my place has regular opens and a GUI member can play either of our courses for €40 which is a steal!!

It is a shame the prices they charge, do they not do winter rates or opens at something more affordable?

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a shame the prices they charge, do they not do winter rates or opens at something more affordable?

Just checked websites of Tralee, Ballybunion, Waterville & Dooks for prices and first 3 are €250 and Dooks €150!! That’s €900 for 4 rounds of golf! No mention of opens apart from a scratch cup which rules out 3 of our 4ball.
No concessions for GUI members as I asked the question last year when contacting the clubs about organising a trip down there.

Add in travel, accommodation, food and beers and it’s definitely cheaper for us to go to Florida for example rather than stay here in Ireland

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heres the opens:-

https://www.brsgolf.com/tralee/opens_home.php

Ranks as the most fun I have had on course Tralee. Not the best condition or interesting green complexs or hardest course, but if I was going to die tomorrow and could play once more, I would pick Tralee.

Never noticed that but that’s a one off and unlikely to coincide with our planned dates and even if you plan round that your still paying full price for the other places!

My main gripe is that there are no GUI concessions down that way whereas RCD, Portrush and most other top courses in Ireland offer it! If you could book these places as a GUI member for up to 100 euros then we would happily pay it.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just checked websites of Tralee, Ballybunion, Waterville & Dooks for prices and first 3 are €250 and Dooks €150!! That’s €900 for 4 rounds of golf! No mention of opens apart from a scratch cup which rules out 3 of our 4ball.
No concessions for GUI members as I asked the question last year when contacting the clubs about organising a trip down there.

Add in travel, accommodation, food and beers and it’s definitely cheaper for us to go to Florida for example rather than stay here in Ireland

Those prices are riduclous and are obviously aimed at the American market and those who are ticking off boxes on a list.

Got to chuckle to myself when we are ranked 1 place higher than Tralee yet our green fees are £60 day rate......

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those prices are riduclous and are obviously aimed at the American market and those who are ticking off boxes on a list.

Got to chuckle to myself when we are ranked 1 place higher than Tralee yet our green fees are £60 day rate......

Yes totally aimed at (mainly) American tourists ticking off names but I believe they should still offer GUI rates! My place is €200 I believe for a tourist but a GUI member can play it anytime for €80 or if you play in one of our regular opens it’s €40