Royal Liverpool 17th

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Dreadful. No collar on her shirt and it was not tucked into her trousers, if you can call them trousers.

I won't mention the socks. Were there any?

Such slovenliness on a golf course is not acceptable. Something needs to be done about this. :mad:

D-S

Visit site
Nice video and I am sure it will be a great watch at the Open. However I am not a fan of a short hole where I cannot see if my ball is on the green or not.

sunshine

Visit site
Not played the new hole, but it looks great, a lot better than the old hole which was bland and a missed opportunity.

Reminds me of the new short par 3s at Princes, I assume it's the same architect.

I agree with D-S: if they built up the tee so it was elevated by a couple of feet it would make a huge difference to see the putting surface.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not played the new hole, but it looks great, a lot better than the old hole which was bland and a missed opportunity.

Reminds me of the new short par 3s at Princes, I assume it's the same architect.

I agree with D-S: if they built up the tee so it was elevated by a couple of feet it would make a huge difference to see the putting surface.

It's maybe done on purpose to try and put a bit of doubt in the mind of the very best golfers in the world.

Why do don't you like holes where you don't see the ball finish? If it makes you uncomfortable then that could be exactly what the designer wants.

I'm the same I don't particularly like too many holes where I can't see the ball finish but I do understand the thinking behind them.

Be interesting to see how the hole plays.

sunshine

Visit site
It's maybe done on purpose to try and put a bit of doubt in the mind of the very best golfers in the world.

Why do don't you like holes where you don't see the ball finish? If it makes you uncomfortable then that could be exactly what the designer wants.

I'm the same I don't particularly like too many holes where I can't see the ball finish but I do understand the thinking behind them.

Be interesting to see how the hole plays.

I agree with the concept of putting some doubt in the mind of the player. The 16th at RSG is similar, in that the bunker mound short of the green obscures your view of the putting surface. There is also a run off on the right hand side down to a bunker.

The way I think about it, as someone who is only going to play the course once (or at best very rarely), is that it is a little unfair if you can't see the danger. Of course it is different for the pros in the Open because they have practise rounds, and for the members who make up the majority of rounds on the course.

D-S

Visit site
I understand the thinking behind the blind putting surface but for me it takes away some of the drama - e.g. Iona's shot, will it or won't it stop on the edge? will it roll into the bunker? For the lucky some with a ball on line, will it go in the hole? or perhaps lip out?The blind surface just reduces this drama to when you reach the green - 'oh, its in the bunker'.

The oohs and aahs from the crowd will tell the player all they need to know at the Open, normal players will not have this luxury.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand the thinking behind the blind putting surface but for me it takes away some of the drama - e.g. Iona's shot, will it or won't it stop on the edge? will it roll into the bunker? For the lucky some with a ball on line, will it go in the hole? or perhaps lip out?The blind surface just reduces this drama to when you reach the green - 'oh, its in the bunker'.

The oohs and aahs from the crowd will tell the player all they need to know at the Open, normal players will not have this luxury.
Agree. I hate blind holes (to play). Our third is a blind par three. You hit your shot and you think it might be decent but you don't really know. Nothing to get excited about, as you say. Would be the worst hole to get a hole in one on. I'd probably spend 3 minutes looking for it in the rough through the back before I even checked the hole.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agree. I hate blind holes (to play). Our third is a blind par three. You hit your shot and you think it might be decent but you don't really know. Nothing to get excited about, as you say. Would be the worst hole to get a hole in one on. I'd probably spend 3 minutes looking for it in the rough through the back before I even checked the hole.
Top Tip
Always check the hole on the way past...just in case

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Top Tip
Always check the hole on the way past...just in case

Happened to the Senior Vice Capt last week.... our 8th is a 190 up hill par 3. Its a driver for him and he can't usually get there. Will the current amount of run, he'd given up searching for his ball in the rough at the back of the green while his playing partners were putting out, then the first bloke found his ball in the hole.

As with Hoylake, you can't see all the putting surface from the tee either!

sunshine

Visit site
Give it a hundred years and people will be raving about it. This is golf, where people don't like change.

inthehole

Hacker
Visit site
Don't like the hole. It seems tricked up and maybe too much of a lottery in blustery conditions. Whilst I am sure it will cause drama I dont think that a Championship should be potentially decided upon something so random.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't like the hole. It seems tricked up and maybe too much of a lottery in blustery conditions. Whilst I am sure it will cause drama I dont think that a Championship should be potentially decided upon something so random.
Random? It'll force the best players in the world to hit a really good shot - as per the video, knock into the heart of the green and two-putt, if you need a birdie you'll have to take a risk, if you hit a bad shot you'll be punished.

Looks like a good hole to me.