Rover Pairs rules

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Recently just played a match and was very unfamiliar with how to score.

To make it easy for me and my PP we are both off 16.

Played a match against a pair who were 11 and 18

Now is it my understanding me and my PP get 5 shots over the guy who has 11 on stroke index 1-5 ?

And here’s where I need a little work.

Does his PP get two shots over me and my PP on stroke index 17/18?

Also, they were on about taking the lowest handicappers difference for one of the holes (S.I 5)

Now this was a very hard par 3. Only me and guy who plays off 11 hit the green, the other two had both picked up.

We both par this hole (me assuming I have a shot on him as it’s S.I 5) would win the hole?

But he was on about taking the lowest handicappers score?

Confused.

Please advise

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
You'll likely have to try an explain the actual format of the match.

In simple terms it is quite common for the lowest handicap to receive 0 shots and the rest of you have the difference from them. This may be modified further by % depending on format. Shots would apply on the lowest stroke indexes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You all take 90% of your Competition Handicap to get Playing Handicaps.
The lowest capper is set to zero and the others get the difference from the lowest.
So the lowest gets no strokes on any hole.The others get strokes on the stroke index holes relevant to their reduced handicaps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll likely have to try an explain the actual format of the match.

In simple terms it is quite common for the lowest handicap to receive 0 shots and the rest of you have the difference from them. This may be modified further by % depending on format. Shots would apply on the lowest stroke indexes.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Not even sure what the format is?

It’s a knockout match and you either win, lose or half the hole against another pair.

This makes sense.

Just couldn’t work out what they meant on S.I 5 when me and my PP had a shot on one of our opponents. Taking the lowest handicap players score makes zero sense to me considering he had picked up and was out the hole.

Even his PP sounded confused.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not even sure what the format is?

It’s a knockout match and you either win, lose or half the hole against another pair.

This makes sense.

Just couldn’t work out what they meant on S.I 5 when me and my PP had a shot on one of our opponents. Taking the lowest handicap players score makes zero sense to me considering he had picked up and was out the hole.

You need to take a minute and take time to write down what actually happened. In the first post you say that you and the 11 h'cap were the only ones to hit the green. You then say in the post above that the lowest h'cap (11?) picked up. Both these can't be true

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
me and the lowest handicapper hit green.

His playing partner picked up (highest handicapper)

Also if we were playing match play what other formats are there for pairs?

Bit confusing if not used to it. Only just got the hang of stableford.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
me and the lowest handicapper hit green.

His playing partner picked up (highest handicapper)

Also if we were playing match play what other formats are there for pairs?

Bit confusing if not used to it. Only just got the hang of stableford.
Therefore,as you were receiving a shot and you both took 3 shots to hole the ball, you would win the hole as the shot received takes you down to a 2. All players take their shot allowance form the lowest handicap who effectively plays off scratch and you would play as a 5 handicap

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You played 4 ball, better ball where both players played their own ball and the best score counts. Other formats are 4somes where you play 1 ball, alternate shots. 1 player tees off on odds, the other on evens. The other main format is greensomes where you both tee off and then play the best tee shot. If you had teed off, your partner plays the next shot.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Therefore,as you were receiving a shot and you both took 3 shots to hole the ball, you would win the hole as the shot received takes you down to a 2. All players take their shot allowance form the lowest handicap who effectively plays off scratch and you would play as a 5 handicap

Great way to think of it

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
You played 4 ball, better ball where both players played their own ball and the best score counts. Other formats are 4somes where you play 1 ball, alternate shots. 1 player tees off on odds, the other on evens. The other main format is greensomes where you both tee off and then play the best tee shot. If you had teed off, your partner plays the next shot.

Jeez. There’s quite a few versions of this golf game.

Swango1980

Visit site
Now is it my understanding me and my PP get 5 shots over the guy who has 11 on stroke index 1-5 ?

And here’s where I need a little work.

Does his PP get two shots over me and my PP on stroke index 17/18?
Pretty sure the general concept has already been explained.

But, to clarify, assuming the handicaps you quoted are the correct Playing Handcaps (i.e. all 4 90% of the players course handicaps), then both you and you partner do indeed get 5 shots, on Indexes 1-5. The best player gets none. His partner gets 7 shots, and he gets them on Indexes 1-7.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also, they were on about taking the lowest handicappers difference for one of the holes (S.I 5)

Now this was a very hard par 3. Only me and guy who plays off 11 hit the green, the other two had both picked up.

We both par this hole (me assuming I have a shot on him as it’s S.I 5) would win the hole?

But he was on about taking the lowest handicappers score?

Confused.

Please advise

I would be just as confused if the other player starts talking about it this way

Straight forward - he has a nett par and you have had a nett birdie therefore you win the hole.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

You didn't have a stroke on one of your opponents. Because of the Stroke Index, you had a stroke to deduct from your gross score for the hole to give you your net score. If that was better than the net score of the opponent who completed the hole (his partner having picked up and so being out of it) you won the hole.