Rotator cuff injury

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a load of over the phone diagnosis, not been able to get time off at start of new contract, i finally got in to the physio Friday.

Turns out I have a pretty extreme frozen shoulder, physio was impressed by how immobile it was!

I need cortisone injections just to be able to start therapy.

Looks like this year might be a write-off. Any golf would be a bonus.

Could hone my short game wizardry though :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After a load of over the phone diagnosis, not been able to get time off at start of new contract, i finally got in to the physio Friday.

Turns out I have a pretty extreme frozen shoulder, physio was impressed by how immobile it was!

Short game is the way forward but even then I'd be careful. Bad news for you and hope you can get on the course at some point. I don't suppose approaching the club and telling them you're long term injured will get you any sort of refund/reduction

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

Had mine released via surgery in January, tried all the usual, cortisone, physio, acupuncture. Neuromuscular massage helped but ultimately surgery was my only option.

Good luck.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had mine released via surgery in January, tried all the usual, cortisone, physio, acupuncture. Neuromuscular massage helped but ultimately surgery was my only option.

Good luck.

Thanks, appreciated.

Am brave as the lion from the Wizard of Oz, so not sure I'd elect for surgery!!

Filing under **** happens. Just try and do something +ve with the time it frees up (easier said in winter!).

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, appreciated.

Am brave as the lion from the Wizard of Oz, so not sure I'd elect for surgery!!

Filing under **** happens. Just try and do something +ve with the time it frees up (easier said in winter!).

Get a good physio and stretch it as much as possible.

U

User62651

Had it twice, once in each shoulder, both due to boney spurs growing down from bone causing impingement on my tendons.
My left was operated on 10 years ago, my right was operated on a few years later and that involved a 'repair' as the boney spurs actually severed the tendon to the point where I couldn't raise my right arm without the help of my left arm! They had to reattach the severed tendon to my bone with pins.
Both of them resulted in NO GOLF for six months.
Both my operations, therefore, were done in the winter.
The operations were pretty painless from day one, the physio was unbearably painful but oh so important.
I hope yours is not as bad as mine, but due to the boney spurs, operations were the only way forward.
MRI scans revealed the full extent of the conditions, without it you'll just be guessing.
Good luck :thup:.

This is familiar to me except I didn't tear tendons despite MRIs and ultrasounds suggesting I did, both shoulders just seized quickly or froze, left in 2010, right in 2016 and both filled with scar tissue and are stuck in certain rotations, left had physio/acupuncture/sports massage then MUA and then sub-acromial decompression op, right has had tonnes of physio then MUA now looking like capsular release op as physio isn't making enough gains. Shoulder problems have stopped me golfing most seasons since 2010 and the best I've managed in a season since then is 4 bounce games when I had one bad shoulder, now I have 2 bad shoulders it was 1 round last year. I was a reasonable scrambly 4 h'capper, now can swing of a fashion but I cant make shoulders get in the right position or impart any power or generate enough clubhead speed to keep me motivated and it's often uncomfortable. Just a weak unco-ordinated slap action. Nearly 8 years of this now, it's very tedious.:angry:

Manage any shoulder problems very carefully.:mmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Managed to be a brave soldier and had the Operation yesterday.

Like a few of the chaps above, a bone spur had damaged the tissue of my shoulder capsule, which then inflamed & hardened, causing massive reduction of rotational movement.

Surgery appears to have gone well and, with a fair wind, I might be back playing by July :)

Finally, after he Op yesterday the surgeon told me it was in the top 5 % of worse cases he's seen. Í genuinely believe that this is because I played on for a month or so after initial symptoms presented and made it worse.

Initial symptoms were a sore elbow after playing along with a gradual stiffening of the upper arm in the hours after playing, getting progressively worse each time.

If you notice these get it checked out, you might save yourself months of pain, discomfort, dodgy sleep and, most of all, no golf!

Be safe out there :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Managed to be a brave soldier and had the Operation yesterday.

Like a few of the chaps above, a bone spur had damaged the tissue of my shoulder capsule, which then inflamed & hardened, causing massive reduction of rotational movement.

Surgery appears to have gone well and, with a fair wind, I might be back playing by July :)

Finally, after he Op yesterday the surgeon told me it was in the top 5 % of worse cases he's seen. Í genuinely believe that this is because I played on for a month or so after initial symptoms presented and made it worse.

Initial symptoms were a sore elbow after playing along with a gradual stiffening of the upper arm in the hours after playing, getting progressively worse each time.

If you notice these get it checked out, you might save yourself months of pain, discomfort, dodgy sleep and, most of all, no golf!

Be safe out there :thup:

I agree, going to a physio without having a scan and doing exercises could do much more damage if not diagnosed correctly.

My scan showed mine to be a Bursitis and I was told not to do physio until I had completed a course of Naproxen coupled with Omeprazole. These reduced the swelling and removed the water sack and repaired the tissue it had damaged and once the discomfort had eased, I then started physio.

Touch wood I've not sensed anything yet to date so it looks to have worked, but it took most of the winter, thank god the weather was crap.

Pommy

Visit site
I had surgery to correct a 180 degree tear of the labrum muscle and a partially detached bicep muscle in April last year. Had to have 9 anchors inserted to reattach to the bone, apparently I was on the verge of a bone graft as the socket had been work down from dislocations. Took nearly 2 year to have the surgery done on the nhs, 18 months which was waiting for the mri scam to confirm the injury and 15 trips to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder. Spent 2 months in a sling and around 3-4 months in total before I had pretty much full painless movement. Although I do still suffer from pain now and then. I started playing golf after this injury as I could no longer compete at previous sports that caused the injury.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had surgery to correct a 180 degree tear of the labrum muscle and a partially detached bicep muscle in April last year. Had to have 9 anchors inserted to reattach to the bone, apparently I was on the verge of a bone graft as the socket had been work down from dislocations. Took nearly 2 year to have the surgery done on the nhs, 18 months which was waiting for the mri scam to confirm the injury and 15 trips to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder. Spent 2 months in a sling and around 3-4 months in total before I had pretty much full painless movement. Although I do still suffer from pain now and then. I started playing golf after this injury as I could no longer compete at previous sports that caused the injury.

2 years. Jebus. Glad I took private when I started working for myself.

Am damn sore today though!!

Hope all stays well for you and the pain is an infrequent visitor :thup: