Rolling my wrists

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
Well I had a lesson with my pro and he was talking about taking the right hand across the left one if you get me so I would get more consistent hitting. I would be taking it across when I was starting the opposite to back swing (forgot what it called) and into the follow through. And no it isn't releasing the wrists.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Rolling the wrists is a poor thought in my opinion, but, in a lesson my mate had yesterday he was holding the club open, through and after impact, and not releasing properly. The pro produced a tyre and got him to hit it with his club with the idea that he hit the tyre with the toe of the club being the first contact point, this he did and then he immediately was asked to do the same feel hitting the ball and it worked perfectly.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the lastest crossfield vid is about release and what happens to the wrists and clubhead.

I think you might find it interesting. (maybe not tho!)

In my own experience, the greater the conscious manipulation of arms/hands, the worse things get. If the swing is good, anything that needs to happen happens anyway.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Any good tips or videos or drills to help me roll my wrists?

Alex, there's no such thing as rolling the wrists in the golf swing - it's hard to explain but it just doesn't happen.

All I can say is try this.... grip your club normally at address then lift the club up so it's pointing outwards from you at about waist high, now turn your upper body towards the target so your club is now pointing 'at the flag'.... did you need to roll your wrists to get there?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Weird.... 2mins 30 seconds he just did exactly what I said...

All I can say is try this.... grip your club normally at address then lift the club up so it's pointing outwards from you at about waist high, now turn your upper body towards the target so your club is now pointing 'at the flag'.... did you need to roll your wrists to get there?

he asks the question... " ask yourself, have I twisted my hands or not?"

at 5mins 15 secs.... "they are NOT rolling over"

which part of his video goes against what I said in my post?

Yes (like he said) people TALK about rolling the wrists or crossing the arms or the forearms rotating etc etc but it just DOESN'T HAPPEN.

10 mins 35 seconds.... "release is NOT this".

...or you can listen to YOUR pro and roll your wrists :whistle:

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Look at the below example of Master Luke.

LD.jpg

Has he rolled his wrists?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^

LOLOLOL Lot's of pro's used to teach rolling the wrists..... until they realised that they were wrong, just like Mark Crossfield who used to imply a rolling of the wrists, but now (clearly) doesn't.

It is true that some players have a 'feeling' or 'sensation' that their wrists roll over but that isn't REALLY what is happening... I have similar 'not real' sensations when thinking about Cheryl Cole :mad:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rolling the wrists is just wrong. The timing to get the club square is difficult and not repeatable.

If you roll the wrists in the backswing you will fan the club inside which is a sure way to route it back over the top. If you roll them in the downswing you will suffer from all manner of poor shots.

The wrists need to hinge in an Up and Down direction. Address an iron, hinge your wrists upwards without lifting your arms so you lift the club off the ground, now drop it back down so that the clubhead bangs into the ground. That's how you hinge and release the club.