Roll Yardages

jonbrown84

Visit site
Hi All,I've only been playing a few years but recently my game has finally picked up and I have become fairly consistent so began using a gps. I can generally hit most club the same yardages every time now but did not factor in the roll I get with each club when it hits the fairway. Does anyone have a reference of how much roll you get depending on the club? I know everyone is different depending on how far they hit it but just as a guide. Assuming the ground is flat, normal conditions etc.I hit my pitch 100, 8 iron 120, 6 iron 140, 4 hybrid 155, 3 wood 180.I've only played twice with the gps and would like to factor in what I can expect next time.Thanks for any help.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
So many more variables than ground conditions. Strike patterns (where on the face, catching the ball a little fat or thin), your physical state on that particular day, ball flight (high, low), your confidence, temperature etc all affects carry and roll distances.

Best bet isn't to think "my 8 iron goes on average 120 yards with 7 yards of roll". I'd suggest that, if you're inclined, you keep a note of the distance spectrums of each club.

After a while of tracking you might find that your 8 iron (unless you completely duff it or thin it) goes between 120-130 yards. This will help you when you're eyeing up an approach into the green. Think about a 120 yard approach shot:

If there's trouble at the front of the green, it's time for the 7 iron. You may hit it sweetly and end up at the back of the green. You might be bang in the middle. You'll not be in bother.

If there's trouble at the back, or there's plenty of room at the front, the 8 iron, at worst you're left with a chip on. At best, you've got a putt for birdie.

So, ultimately, shot tracking etc is important but don't be suckered into the whole "ahh my 8 iron goes on average 120 yards, I better hit that club here". Golf is more nuanced than that. Short and long dispersion is very important, I grant you, but you'll score much better thinking about what club is guaranteed to keep you away from trouble.

Edited to add: that's before you consider half and three-quarter shots. I see so many high handicappers go flat out with 60 degree wedges from 70 yards- I'd never attempt that shot nowadays (used to when I was off 24hcp!). Are you going to have the time and dedication to track the carry and roll for 'feely' shots? Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Also, as above, experience is important here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

There is no formula I'm afraid, too many variables.

As an example, I have hit my 2 iron about 200 yards on a parkland course but downwind on a hard, fast running links I have hit it 300 yards and over 100 yards of that was probably run out.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like all have said no magic formula you just need to keep testing and become used to it.

That said the more lofted the club generally the less roll out you will get- so you might only get 3-5 yard with your PW but 20-25 with your 4 iron.

If you are looking for a ball park though try and book on a launch monitor and take notes with each club. But as said this will be on a standard flat bit of ground with benign conditions so then you need to factor everything else in. The hard part of that could be you might find it hard to distinguish between good hits and bad... some PGA pros if they have the facility can do a gap test for you and will help identify a degree of accuracy for you.

jonbrown84

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. Last round I was making sure I allowed around 10 yards or so for the ball to kick on once it landed to make sure it didn't run into a hazard on most normal flat lies with my irons on the first and second shots as they was generally lay up shots anyway. Seemed to work well but as you all say I guess the more I play and get used to the distances through different conditions over the coming months I can gauge myself and get used to it.One other question. If you land on the green is it inclined to roll less due to the softer surface than if it was hitting the fairway. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but im only at a stage where im beginning the hit the green regularly so haven't had much to go on so far.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. Last round I was making sure I allowed around 10 yards or so for the ball to kick on once it landed to make sure it didn't run into a hazard on most normal flat lies with my irons on the first and second shots as they was generally lay up shots anyway. Seemed to work well but as you all say I guess the more I play and get used to the distances through different conditions over the coming months I can gauge myself and get used to it.One other question. If you land on the green is it inclined to roll less due to the softer surface than if it was hitting the fairway. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but im only at a stage where im beginning the hit the green regularly so haven't had much to go on so far.

Again depends on the conditions- soaking wet soft greens you'll often get next to no roll, or plugged. Baked hard greens will bounce and be hard to stop on- then there is in between

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
good strike - so some backspin imparted - given general good peak height to the shot so decent descent angle (so folks need to factor in how they generally fly the ball and the contact nature of the strike at impact)
- ball will more put the brakes on due to the shorter length of the grass and the composite nature of the green's structure as opposed to the fairways composite structure - plus generally good shots with irons have more backspin & A steeper descent angle than say the driver and the metals so they tend to roll out more

factors that will mitigate against that are wind and sun, so harder surface will tend to add more roll

most folks as they start off in the game are more likely to land well short of target

better to know from folks reasonable strikes the 'carry distance' of the clubs through the bag

Last edited: