right to left...

James

Hacker
Visit site
Morning folks, another weekend round of golf, another problem to correct...

Can anyone offer any tips, my driving off the tee had a very pronounced far right to left movement on every shot. My longer irons were the same, great connection but swinging right before landing considerably further left than you would think !!!

If anyone has got any ideas where i was going wrong i would really appreciate it...

Cheers... james

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a serious touch of the ‘right to lefts’ a while back which thankfully I’ve managed to sort out.

My problem was attributed to my grip. I had a very strong left hand grip where I was showing 3 and a half knuckles. The result was I whipped my wrists through too much at impact and ended up with a whopping Duck Hook (hence the alias). I’ve since neutralised the grip a bit and the problem has gone away.

Try turning your left hand slightly to the left so that only 2 to 2 ½ knuckles are showing. It feels dead weird at first but persevere. It solved my problem.

Best of luck.

DHM.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My bad shot is a duck hook and it usually happens when I try and steer the ball down the fairway. Make sure you commit totally to the swing. Think "Swish" and complete your follow-through.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with DHM - check your grip. Make sure the v between your thumb and forefinger of your right hand does not point any wider than your right shoulder.

If that doesn't do it, it'll be something in the swing itself so would need more details...

B

birdieman

Number of thing to try-
1. You may have the all too far back in stance -this will cause you to attack too much on the inside, especially for longer clubs like a driver, causing a hook.
2. Your may well need stiffer shafts, a high hooky shot is often a good indication that you need a stiffer flex. -get your swing speed measured or demo some clubs with a stiff shaft.
3. Grip - likely right hand is too strong, rather than left hand i.e. move the right hand more on top of the grip, or get a moulded training grip which is a good aid.

James

Hacker
Visit site
Cheers lads, good stuff as always... The grip idea seems to be a common thought running through my game. The ball is fairly far forward in my stance if i'm honest, i struggle with height so a lot of my shots are played off the left heel. Birdieman, when you say "move the right hand more on top of the grip" what exactly do you mean ?

Cheers... j

B

birdieman

I mean you need to move your right-hand round to the left a little so you can see some knuckles, I see a lot of players with a strong right hand which through impact turns the club over too much and closes the face.
Teeing the ball a little lower will help stop hooking as well.

JustinHarvie

Visit site
I think I'm off down the range too! Thanks birdieman! I've been having trouble with the hook for a while and, whilst I've experimented with different stances, I really wasn't sure whether my grip was a factor or not.