Rickie Fowler Penalty..... Harsh!

OLgolfer

Visit site
How many times do we have to say it? Seriously it's been said by me and Parsaregood multiple times now. It seems like you just skip past it because in your mind the rules were written by God Himself and must never be questioned.

One more time, let's see if you can get it...

If you take a drop, and/or subsequently place the ball, and then after a short period where you have not taken your stance to play your next shot, it rolls again - you retake the drop / replace the ball.

There it is. Simple.

It cannot be more simple than this..! I’m sure you said this about 100 posts ago 😂

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
No. We are specifically talking about incidents like the Rickie one. Obviously. Where he took a drop and then placed it, but then it dropped in the water again. Nothing to do with a shot that went near the water and then stopped and then rolled in. That's a completely different situation.
If it had happened almost as soon as he took a stance i could have a little sympathy, but he walked away from the ball. He then did the same again after the second drop.

He'd already scouted the hole once prior to the first drop. Put it down and hit it. If it moves in that time, i'd maybe considered a free drop. But yo leave the ball then it's you fault.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Its exactly like that. Why do you think that a ball placed or dropped in to play shpuld have different status to a ball that was struck in to play
It is not, after taking a drop, the ball should not be deemed in play until taking your stance. That is not being treated differently. Also a ball is in play even inbetween shots until you declare you wish to take a drop for one reason or another, it would then be temporarily out of play until you drop and proceed to take your stance to play your next shot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it had happened almost as soon as he took a stance i could have a little sympathy, but he walked away from the ball. He then did the same again after the second drop.

He'd already scouted the hole once prior to the first drop. Put it down and hit it. If it moves in that time, i'd maybe considered a free drop. But yo leave the ball then it's you fault.
With the rules as they are, yes he was silly to leave it that long and run the risk of what happened happening. But we're analysing the rule itself, not his actions.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is not, after taking a drop, the ball should not be deemed in play until taking your stance. That is not being treated differently. Also a ball is in play even inbetween shots until you declare you wish to take a drop for one reason or another, it would then be temporarily out of play until you drop and proceed to take your stance to play your next shot

Would you want the same change implemented on other scenarios e.g. preferred lies, for example you prefer your lie then it rolls into an old divot?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Would you want the same change implemented on other scenarios e.g. preferred lies, for example you prefer your lie then it rolls into an old divot?
In preferred lies case you have a preferred lie, you are not dropping, also you could just prefer your lie again ?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
How many times do we have to say it? Seriously it's been said by me and Parsaregood multiple times now. It seems like you just skip past it because in your mind the rules were written by God Himself and must never be questioned.

One more time, let's see if you can get it...

If you take a drop, and/or subsequently place the ball, and then after a short period where you have not taken your stance to play your next shot, it rolls again - you retake the drop / replace the ball.

There it is. Simple.
Ok.ive placed my ball and before I take my stance I drop my wedge , it hits my ball and the ball rolls in the water... What now ? Another free drop ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you understand the difference between a drop and a preferred lie, I can post a copy of the rules if you wish ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok.ive placed my ball and before I take my stance I drop my wedge , it hits my ball and the ball rolls in the water... What now ? Another free drop ?
Yes under the new rules, if your club hits your ball accidentally before taking a stance you replace your ball and proceed as before without penalty

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
In preferred lies case you have a preferred lie, you are not dropping, also you could just prefer your lie again ?

I always thought you could only do so once re. preferred lies as once you have lifted, cleaned and placed tour ball, the ball in now "in play" once you let go and therefore can't be preferred again?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong and add it to the rule myths pile...

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I always thought you could only do so once re. preferred lies as once you have lifted, cleaned and placed tour ball, the ball in now "in play" once you let go and therefore can't be preferred again?

the ball is always in play, you cannot change the ball unless it is damaged

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
With the rules as they are, yes he was silly to leave it that long and run the risk of what happened happening. But we're analysing the rule itself, not his actions.

I know, and i was agreeing that an amendment to the rule wouldn't be a bad thing, but the latest batch of rules were meant to speed the game up, so i'd include that once you leave the ball it is in play.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is the ball in play, you cannot change that ball unless it is damaged or you finish the hole. You must use that ball, hence that is the ball in play

But the ball itself is not "in play" while it is lifted from the course, hence the ball is NOT always in play.

Would you like me to post a link to the definition of In Play in the rulebook?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I thought this , but it was not in play until you lifted your marker. Pre 2019.
But now do you still need to mark it for a preferred lie?
So the ball will be in play as soon as you let go.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You know what, I'm not happy with that drop, but oh no I've dropped my club on it and have to drop it again. ..for free ..
Pretty clearly you'd know yourself to be a cheat in this case also I think if you did it more than once if playing with the same folks they'd grow pretty suspicious