Rickie Fowler Penalty..... Harsh!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
But the ball itself is not "in play" while it is lifted from the course, hence the ball is NOT always in play.

Would you like me to post a link to the definition of In Play in the rulebook?
If that is the exact definition they have it must be, you cannot change the ball and also you can redo your lie until you take the marker from original position up

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
If that is the exact definition they have it must be, you cannot change the ball and also you can redo your lie until you take the marker from original position up

I never mentioned anything about changing a ball, and only brought up the preferred lie scenario as it has a similarity re. the ball being not in play and then at some point in play again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You do need to mark original position of the ball
Are you sure.?
Rule 14.1 when you lift your ball to take relief under a rule , you are not required to mark the spot.

Is preffered lies a rule, local rule , this does seem very confusing.
If you are replacing on same spot you must mark.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Are you sure.?
Rule 14.1 when you lift your ball to take relief under a rule , you are not required to mark the spot.

Is preffered lies a rule, local rule , this does seem very confusing.
If you are replacing on same spot you must mark.
The need to mark your ball when lifting for a preferred lie has been removed from the model local rule.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you look at rule 9.4a
1. 9.4 a deals with balls that have to be replaced
2. Preferred Lies LR has changed to bring it into line with 9.4a in the sense that you aren't replacing your ball but are placing it somewhere else - so you no longer need to mark it
3. If you dropped your club and accidentally moved your ball on the fairway you would get a 1 shot penalty and are required to replace it.
4. You an only prefer your lie once

Some of this may be why robin posted as he did...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. 9.4 a deals with balls that have to be replaced
2. Preferred Lies LR has changed to bring it into line with 9.4a in the sense that you aren't replacing your ball but are placing it somewhere else - so you no longer need to mark it
3. If you dropped your club and accidentally moved your ball on the fairway you would get a 1 shot penalty and are required to replace it.
4. You an only prefer your lie once

Some of this may be why robin posted as he did...

I don't have the preferred lie LR model wording, are you able to confirm if you are only allowed to prefer the lie once i.e. once placed somewhere else and you let go, the ball is now "in play" and can't be moved again?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have the preferred lie LR model wording, are you able to confirm if you are only allowed to prefer the lie once i.e. once placed somewhere else and you let go, the ball is now "in play" and can't be moved again?
Model Local Rule E-3 "When a player's ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less [or identify a specific area such as 'on the fairway of the 6th hole'], the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area: Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: [Specify size of relief area, such as one club-length, one scorecard length or 6 inches] from the reference point, but with these limits:Limits on Location of Relief Area:Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, andMust be in the general area. In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball and use the procedures for replacing a ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Model Local Rule E-3 "When a player's ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less [or identify a specific area such as 'on the fairway of the 6th hole'], the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area: Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: [Specify size of relief area, such as one club-length, one scorecard length or 6 inches] from the reference point, but with these limits:Limits on Location of Relief Area:Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, andMust be in the general area. In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball and use the procedures for replacing a ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e.
With no marker you havnt got a reference point !
What you have got is a cheats charter.
Can’t understand why they have taken marking your ball out of the rules.
You are placing it somewhere else with no marker.
How can you be accurate.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
How many times do we have to say it? Seriously it's been said by me and Parsaregood multiple times now. It seems like you just skip past it because in your mind the rules were written by God Himself and must never be questioned.

One more time, let's see if you can get it...

If you take a drop, and/or subsequently place the ball, and then after a short period where you have not taken your stance to play your next shot, it rolls again - you retake the drop / replace the ball.

There it is. Simple.
Fair enough, I place my ball and take my stance but something puts me off and I back away . My ball then rolls down the hill and in to the water.
What have you really changed? How is that any sort of improvement on the current rule . To me you have simply over complicated things
Which I thought you were very much against.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
With no marker you havnt got a reference point !
What you have got is a cheats charter.
Can’t understand why they have taken marking your ball out of the rules.
You are placing it somewhere else with no marker.
How can you be accurate.
A lot of people already play this way anyway , I don't think it's any big deal. I quite like it. I've played with cheats and this is probably the least of my worries.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The need to mark your ball when lifting for a preferred lie has been removed from the model local rule.
I'm pleased you posted this. I was at a rules evening last week and this was pointed out. We all looked a bit blank but nodded our heads. I didn't like to post it on here in case everyone poured scorn on me. It does seem an odd thing to change. It was simple, effective, removed doubt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough, I place my ball and take my stance but something puts me off and I back away . My ball then rolls down the hill and in to the water.
What have you really changed? How is that any sort of improvement on the current rule . To me you have simply over complicated things
Which I thought you were very much against.
You really do go out of your way to defend the holy sanctity of the rules don't you? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah if someone takes his stance and then changes his mind and the ball rolls off then more fool him. Can't see it happening very often. My proposed changed wouldn't complicate it, nor make it simpler really - it would just remove the unfair possibility of someone being punished with an extra penalty for something that was simply bad luck.