Return of comps & qualifiers

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just received notification that our club competitions are starting again in July, with the first Men's comp on 5th July.

Also that social golf fourballs are being allowed again from Monday 22nd June.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our first comp since lockdown this weekend. I already had a tee time booked to play anyway, but they've informed us they'll be running a competition, I just have to decide whether I'll enter or not (probably will unless the weather is shocking).
-needs to be at least two members in the group obviously
-if you want to enter the comp you text the club secretary before teeing off
-afterwards we send him a photo of the scorecard with both scores on it. No requirement for both players to sign.
-pick and place within 6 inches allowed in the bunkers

AdamC28

Visit site
Played in our first qualifying comp today.
Scored 27 points which is really disappointing after notching up high 30’s in non qualifying events the last few weeks.
Really hoping I can get a few cuts in the next couple of months.

Diamond

Visit site
I was scoring 30+ W weeks in practice and managed to score about 14 today in my first ever comp...I wish I could blame the white tees but I can’t.

D

Deleted member 3432

I was scoring 30+ W weeks in practice and managed to score about 14 today in my first ever comp...I wish I could blame the white tees but I can’t.

Totally different game with a card in the pocket isn't it...

Part of the learning curve and one lots of golfers struggle with.

Get back out there next week and have another go.

Last edited by a moderator:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally different game with a card in the pocket isn't it...

Part of the learning curve and one lots of golfers struggle with.

Get back out there next week and have another go.
This might be the reason it took over four hours today in a three ball.
Still ten minutes between tees .
Been getting around in under three hours social three balls .
But as soon as card in hand it’s over four hours.
I just lost concentration and hit a lot of bad golf shots.

Mick68

Visit site
We had a 9 hole non-counter on Friday and having an 18 hole non-counter on Wednesday. Next Saturday we're having our first competition counting for our handicap. The bunkers not being raked isn't an issue for us as we generally don't have rakes as the local dignitaries come onto the course and steal them (along with the tee markers). The green keepers rake them first thing then we just have to get in with it. So no change from usual for us.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in a qualifying comp at Bearwood Lakes yesterday.

One player marks and signs card, preferred lies in bunkers, 6 inches NNTH, flagstick left in, ball must be holed. Other rules same as usual. BBQ/food stand in car park serving take-away/eat in car or car-park.

Worked pretty well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You've done it and played a competitive round. I can tell you from bitter experience it doesn't matter how many years you play there is a chance of a competition howler. I've had medals where I couldn't break 100 and days when 24 flat out was the best I can do.

The only thing I can suggest, is perhaps hit a few balls before you play so you're loose and ready to play, look at where the really bad holes were today and what caused them to try and see if there was a patter (sliced drives perhaps which gives you something to work on). I am sure there were nerves which wouldn't have helped but at least you know what to expect from the whites now

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I advised the old guys I played with today to input their score online as they went along, which I did. 5 minutes after finishing, my scores were in and the card I marked was uploaded.

Needless to says they ignored my advice, 30 minutes after finishing they were still faffing around, somehow re-writing cards out, photographing their own card and one bloke not only put his card in the box but it didn't get uploaded ?
Just a question.
Is there a time limit to put your score in with the app.
I don’t do internet on my phone , put my card in about an hour later when home.
But from the last tee time , is there a time requirement to upload.?
Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been playing for thirty years .
I still get nervous in comps.
You will get used to it the more you play.
Wait until you need a par down the last to win !
That’s when the nerves kick in.
Just try enjoy it , not easy but it’s only a game apparently!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club announced this morning that no board comps will be held this year, but will hold some stableford qualifiers. Bit disappointed to be honest as its the big comps that I really look forward to.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It seems short sighted, not surprised you're disappointed.
We're all having to compromise a bit, if we're playing they might as well hold the comps. Our board comps are up and running, the reality is that the only differences are preferred lies in bunkers, must leave the pin in and, most importantly, no beer ? afterwards ?

That’s what cool bags are for........