Return of comps & qualifiers

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, you can call me a cynic.

What are the chances of the 3 cards submitted for handicap resulting in a handicap of 28. Of course that can happen but it makes me wonder if there is still the attitude that you shouldn't award a handicap of more than 28 as that, in the good old days, was always the maximum handicap you could award.

Maybe I'll become less cynical when I get a bit older.

The chances of three cards resulting in a handicap of 28 are exactly the same as three cards resulting in a 27 or a 29. I don't think it warrants so much suspicion.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We’ve all bought little rake attachments for £6. Makes a huge difference. They can just slip over your club, but majority have done something like the attached pic and put it on a mop handle or old broom.

Granted, not as good as the standard rakes but keeps the bunkers pretty tidy and means we’ve been having qualifiers since last week.

Have thought about getting one - but I also don’t want to carry it in my bag and get sand everywhere inside!

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The club negotiated a deal to get them, no idea where from. All members need to have one before playing, no matter if in a comp or in social play.

Few members have grumbled about it but I’d say a good 95% have been positive about using them

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What are the chances of the 3 cards submitted for handicap resulting in a handicap of 28. Of course that can happen but it makes me wonder if there is still the attitude that you shouldn't award a handicap of more than 28 as that, in the good old days, was always the maximum handicap you could award.

I thought it was requirement that all clubs have to have a computer based system. Therefore I would have thought the allocation of an initial handicap would be computer calculated.

Best score of 34 adjusted by the calculation to 28 seems about right depending the SSS verses par

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think he was saying that the 3 cards you submitted might have warranted a handicap of more than 28 but some handicap secretaries still don't like to award anything higher, which is really against the current ethos of trying to get more people involved.

Enjoy the competition, there's nothing like having a card in your hand to concentrate the mind.

See #27

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My handicap is 28 but the best score I have carded is +34. I know I have little chance of winning because my next best score is +38 however I am still looking forward to Saturday and the thought of competing.

The 34 is what the handicap would have been based upon. The best card is always used if you had kept a copy or if your club used Intelligent Golf you can see the actual scoreyou can work it out for yourself. A gross 34 over SSS to get to handicap of 28 sounds about right to me without seeing the actual scores. The allocation a new handicap works out what your potential best is not what the actual best was.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are running comps for 3 balls not 4 balls,it was felt mixing 2+4 would slow it all down.
Only been Sats and Suns so far and mostly staplefords.
No comp I believe been won with less than 40 points including a 43 and a 45.
Both scored by our group.
The 45 was by an 11 handicap who has just had a hip op and seems a different golfer altogether as he struggled for years.
2 emails sent out regarding people hanging around after in groups way too big.
Also personally only played in 2 comps and am not feeling any buzz atm it just all seems a bit subdued.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Formula is lowest of the 3 (adjusted for any nett double bogeys) less 2 shots = exact handicap.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought it was requirement that all clubs have to have a computer based system. Therefore I would have thought the allocation of an initial handicap would be computer calculated.

Best score of 34 adjusted by the calculation to 28 seems about right depending the SSS verses par

I know exactly how the system of initial handicap allocation works and you did not mention that the Handicap Committee has the option to allocate a figure lower than that calculated. From personal experience, there do exist Handicap Committees that will exercise that option - as another poster mentioned - as they still believe that no-one should have a handicap of more than 28.

And I also know that statistically 29 or 27 is just as likely to be the resulting figure from the calculation as 28.

I am no less of a cynic.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 34 is what the handicap would have been based upon. The best card is always used if you had kept a copy or if your club used Intelligent Golf you can see the actual scoreyou can work it out for yourself. A gross 34 over SSS to get to handicap of 28 sounds about right to me without seeing the actual scores. The allocation a new handicap works out what your potential best is not what the actual best was.

I would suggest that an AGD of 34 would lead to something like a suggested 31.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know exactly how the system of initial handicap allocation works and you did not mention that the Handicap Committee has the option to allocate a figure lower than that calculated. From personal experience, there do exist Handicap Committees that will exercise that option - as another poster mentioned - as they still believe that no-one should have a handicap of more than 28.

And I also know that statistically 29 or 27 is just as likely to be the resulting figure from the calculation as 28.

I am no less of a cynic.

I was at a WHS workshop a long time ago, and when the subject matter turned to initial handicap allocation a participant got up said that he always reduced the calculated figure. I nearly fell off my chair, and I am sure the rep from England Golf took a step back. So he effectively chooses to ignore the software that is provided to do the job for him.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I quite like the scruffy bunkers to be honest, they become more of the hazard they were intended to be rather than a nice consistent lie that good players would sooner be in than the greenside rough.
And you're never sure what sort of a lie you'll have, I putted out of one yesterday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Formula is lowest of the 3 (adjusted for any nett double bogeys) less 2 shots = exact handicap.
The 'adjusted for nett double bogey' is the old method of calculation it is now anything worse than twice the par is now adjusted to twice the par. Adjusting to nett double bogey would always limit an initial handicap to 36.
Then a factor of very approximately 90% is applied.