Return of comps & qualifiers

Doodle

Visit site
I had an email from the club today.
They are planning to start a take out food & drink service very soon.

Also the email said that all comps / opens & qualifiers will hopefully start in the 1st week of July.
Thing is, the bunkers are terrible, lack of / no sand in some & obviously unraked.
Another issue is that we are using foam inserts in the cups, some of which are too high & the ball can bounce out & they float to the top of the hole when it rains, preventing the ball to be holed.

My question is, is it fair or even wise to even consider running Comps & qualifiers under these conditions?
Also, I am led to believe that this season (as in all previous seasons) we have to put in a min on 3x cards to retain a active handicap, which seems harsh under the current playing conditions.
I would have thought that given the exceptional circumstances atm, they would have used last years qualifiers when it comes to assessing our handicap for the new systems introduction in Nov this year.

Your thoughts?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf and CONGU have issued notices re the conditions/local rules that may be used when playing qualifiers.

The conversion to WHS will use the player's last 20 qualifying scores. The committee will have the opportunity to make any appropriate adjustments.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had an email from the club today.
They are planning to start a take out food & drink service very soon.

Also the email said that all comps / opens & qualifiers will hopefully start in the 1st week of July.
Thing is, the bunkers are terrible, lack of / no sand in some & obviously unraked.
Another issue is that we are using foam inserts in the cups, some of which are too high & the ball can bounce out & they float to the top of the hole when it rains, preventing the ball to be holed.

My question is, is it fair or even wise to even consider running Comps & qualifiers under these conditions?
Also, I am led to believe that this season (as in all previous seasons) we have to put in a min on 3x cards to retain a active handicap, which seems harsh under the current playing conditions.
I would have thought that given the exceptional circumstances atm, they would have used last years qualifiers when it comes to assessing our handicap for the new systems introduction in Nov this year.

Your thoughts?
My club ran a comp yesterday with the EGU/CONGU local rules including pick and place in bunkers within six inches, one person marking the card and if a putt hit dead centre at a sensible pace and bounce out and off the flag it was deemed holed if all PP's agreed. Worked really well although not deemed a qualifier. I was under the impression that come WHS then the 3 qualifier cards is superceded. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy a bit of competitive golf

We also have our caterers serving takeaway food and drink from the car park and doing a decent enough trade

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How are clubs doing takeaway food and drink dealing with groups in one place. Is it purchase and take it home or are people eating and drinking in the premises (sort of not making it takeaway at all but rather just outside eating and drinking)

BretbyBlue

Hacker
Visit site
Our club is NOT using the CONGU guidelines when in bunkers (not bringing this in as a local rule). I am sure those that play at the end of the day will get a few shocking lies.
Although only a technicality, it means clubs are not applying the same rules etc and may affect handicapping accordingly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club is NOT using the CONGU guidelines when in bunkers (not bringing this in as a local rule). I am sure those that play at the end of the day will get a few shocking lies.
Although only a technicality, it means clubs are not applying the same rules etc and may affect handicapping accordingly.

Not affecting our handicaps as the comps are all non-qualifiers until further notice

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club ran a comp yesterday with the EGU/CONGU local rules including pick and place in bunkers within six inches, one person marking the card and if a putt hit dead centre at a sensible pace and bounce out and off the flag it was deemed holed if all PP's agreed. Worked really well although not deemed a qualifier. I was under the impression that come WHS then the 3 qualifier cards is superceded. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy a bit of competitive golf

We also have our caterers serving takeaway food and drink from the car park and doing a decent enough trade

So what you are saying is that it was not played with the EGU/CONGU local rules as you were deeming the ball holed if it bounced out.

Doodle

Visit site
Not bothered about non qualifiers as I was under the impression that whilst these restrictions were in place it was social golf only.

But now it appears that we are being asked to play qualifiers / opens & board comps with the restrictions in place, which tbh seems a bit ridiculous to me, especially when your h/c is as tight as mine & I often need ever point I can to get into buffer.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In terms of what impacts scoring, wouldn’t things like weather and pin placement have more impact than a potentially unraked bunker. If anything normal comp one person may get unlucky with a ball wedged in the face, where as in current conditions it’s more likely to impact a higher proportion of the field.

I’d probably want a better system for the hole given so many clubs have them, but otherwise I can’t see an issue with qualifiers on the basis of bunkers not being great. To be harsh it just sounds like you’re worried about handicap rather than just letting that be the result of enjoying playing.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am just going to enjoy my first ever competition on Saturday. Off 28 and my best score is +34 so thank god a stableford. Local rules for bunkers are to TBC but it will be the same for everyone. I might get down 20 minutes early and get some putting practice in.

OK, you can call me a cynic.

What are the chances of the 3 cards submitted for handicap resulting in a handicap of 28. Of course that can happen but it makes me wonder if there is still the attitude that you shouldn't award a handicap of more than 28 as that, in the good old days, was always the maximum handicap you could award.

Maybe I'll become less cynical when I get a bit older.

Doodle

Visit site
In terms of what impacts scoring, wouldn’t things like weather and pin placement have more impact than a potentially unraked bunker. If anything normal comp one person may get unlucky with a ball wedged in the face, where as in current conditions it’s more likely to impact a higher proportion of the field.

I’d probably want a better system for the hole given so many clubs have them, but otherwise I can’t see an issue with qualifiers on the basis of bunkers not being great. To be harsh it just sounds like you’re worried about handicap rather than just letting that be the result of enjoying playing.

I wouldn't say I was overly bothered about my h/c, although I do like to be either close to it / in buffer or better, & but the issue is the terrible state of some of the bunkers & the bounce outs from the holes.
On a bad day, I reckon those 2 issues could cost me 4 or 5 strokes per round.

Diamond

Visit site
OK, you can call me a cynic.

What are the chances of the 3 cards submitted for handicap resulting in a handicap of 28. Of course that can happen but it makes me wonder if there is still the attitude that you shouldn't award a handicap of more than 28 as that, in the good old days, was always the maximum handicap you could award.

Maybe I'll become less cynical when I get a bit older.

My handicap is 28 but the best score I have carded is +34. I know I have little chance of winning because my next best score is +38 however I am still looking forward to Saturday and the thought of competing.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have comps running every weekend from this weekend for the next 5 or 6 weeks.

Don’t see any issues. A ball struck too firmly that bounces out, imo, would have bounced out anyway. Our foam is cabletied to the bottom of the flag stick so doesn’t move, and we have got the CONGU local rule of preferred lies in bunkers.

first comp is the second biggest board comp at the club, after club champs. Will certainly be interesting!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure how pick and place in bunkers can work if you're at the back of the field, by then there may not be a spot you would fancy placing anything in ?

Is prefer them all to be GUR.

Our comps start in July so will wait and see what our ruling is.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My handicap is 28 but the best score I have carded is +34. I know I have little chance of winning because my next best score is +38 however I am still looking forward to Saturday and the thought of competing.

I think he was saying that the 3 cards you submitted might have warranted a handicap of more than 28 but some handicap secretaries still don't like to award anything higher, which is really against the current ethos of trying to get more people involved.

Enjoy the competition, there's nothing like having a card in your hand to concentrate the mind.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We’ve all bought little rake attachments for £6. Makes a huge difference. They can just slip over your club, but majority have done something like the attached pic and put it on a mop handle or old broom.

Granted, not as good as the standard rakes but keeps the bunkers pretty tidy and means we’ve been having qualifiers since last week.

Attachments

• 300A840A-AAF4-46E1-AE59-17D655AACA11.jpeg
    300A840A-AAF4-46E1-AE59-17D655AACA11.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 19

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we are doing "opt in" stableford comps every saturday, sunday and wednesday from this weekend (and club champ week tue 23 - sunday) - and they will. Scorecards will be signed and emailed to pro shop and 1 scorecard per group is fine

We have a BBQ setup at edge of car park on the way to the tee/ pro shop - they have been doing ggood food and decent prices and i have eaten every time i have played since golf restarted. Just need to add a beer tent!!