Reproofing waterproofs

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having thoroughly tested my ProQuip waterproofs this weekend and found them a little wanting, I'm considering trying to reproof them. Nikwax do double packs of Techwash TX and either TX Direct or Softshell Proof which are designed to clean and reproof the waterproofs by putting them in the washing machine and washing the waterproofer in. Anyone got any experience of these; do they work and possibly more importantly what do they do to the washing machine?

C

c1973

Never used Nikwax but Grangers have a decent product line in waterproofing, which I've found to be good enough. Same principle, add to the washing and its job done. I'm not aware of any adverse effects to the machinem

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why would Nikwax do any more damage than the filth that's on clothes and the powerful chemicals used to extract that filth!

Nikwax works btw, though perhaps not as well as the original proofing. That may just be my imagination/feeling though as i haven't had cause to fault it.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nikwax is good stuff, I did my FJ waterproof a few months ago with the TX Direct after discovering that my shoulders were getting wet and the jacket has been fine ever since. Rain just beads on it, like it did when the top was brand new. I did it in a bucket though, I didn't fancy putting it through my washing machine. Also did my waterproof trousers recently with the spray-on TX Direct after they comprehensively failed on a 30-mile walk and they have also been good although you obviously don't get quite as good coverage with the spray-on.

I have actually got one of the double wash/direct packs sitting in the cupboard waiting for me to get round to doing a couple of non-golf jackets so I'll be interested to hear as well if anyone has put them through the washing machine.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Nikwax is as good as other brands, run your machine on a hot wash with nothing in and a cup of white vinegar to clean it through.

Then follow the instructions on the containers, for the lsst bit of drying run them on a cool tumble dry or cool iron (check manufacturers care label).

Then when you dirty your waterproofs, rinse any much off straight after your round, tumble dry them to refresh the finish. Prob only need to be done once a yesr with nikwax then

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having thoroughly tested my ProQuip waterproofs this weekend and found them a little wanting, I'm considering trying to reproof them. Nikwax do double packs of Techwash TX and either TX Direct or Softshell Proof which are designed to clean and reproof the waterproofs by putting them in the washing machine and washing the waterproofer in. Anyone got any experience of these; do they work and possibly more importantly what do they do to the washing machine?

I used nikwaxed my pro quips are their better than they were from new, so easy to do.

Simple instructions of follow,
Remove and clean detergent draw from machine as not to contaminate nikwax
* at this point I run the machine through on a boil wash and repeated this step after.
Wash through using nikwax
Tumble dry to activate nikwax.

I got mine from millers camping shop in Croydon blue, they stock it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far, waterproofs in question are polyester with a teflon coating, anyone know which of the two options are the better finish for that, if it is on the Nikwax website then I'm not finding it.