Replaying ball if you put into bunker

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think your allowed to replay a ball if you putt it through the green into a bunker ( under a penalty) but what about if you chip from the fringe of a green and ball goes through green into a bunker can you also replay this shot?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think your allowed to replay a ball if you putt it through the green into a bunker ( under a penalty) but what about if you chip from the fringe of a green and ball goes through green into a bunker can you also replay this shot?
Same (ball unplayable) Rule applies!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Same (ball unplayable) Rule applies!

That’s put my mind at rest now, I played Aberdovey yesterday and they had fast greens and one of the members done exactly this.

I did tell him the rule and he looked surprised and gladly retook the shot, but I had a little niggle of doubt afterwards, so all good?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That’s put my mind at rest now, I played Aberdovey yesterday and they had fast greens and one of the members done exactly this.

I did tell him the rule and he looked surprised and gladly retook the shot, but I had a little niggle of doubt afterwards, so all good?
I did cost him 2 shots though - the one into the bunker and the penalty, so not exactly 'beneficial'.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

would you not have then been guilty of then offering advice? It may depend on the context of how it was said etc, but could it be a fairly thin line between the two....or because you are just stating a rule, it all becomes ok?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I did cost him 2 shots though - the one into the bunker and the penalty, so not exactly 'beneficial'.

It might well have been beneficial ?
He said he only took the game up last year and has no confidence in bunkers, fair play to him though he’s been having regular lessons and is improving.

Maybe bunker lesson for him next.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
would you not have then been guilty of then offering advice? It may depend on the context of how it was said etc, but could it be a fairly thin line between the two....or because you are just stating a rule, it all becomes ok?

I would never give advice if it was a competition, 2 members let me join them at a course I’ve never played before.

It was a very friendly social round and the guy only started playing last year and didn’t like playing out of bunkers.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Rule 18.1 applies. You may at any time from anywhere on the course take stroke and distance relief.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Advice
Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
  • Choosing a club,
  • Making a stroke, or
  • Deciding how to play during a hole or round.
But advice does not include public information, such as:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To my mind, there's two strands for dealing with this.

a). "You dont have to play from there.The rules allow you to replay your shot under stroke and distance if you want".
b). "I'd play your shot from over there again . The rules allow it under stroke and distance".

I think one is advice and one isn't - but interested to hear expert opinion?

Steven Rules

Visit site
To my mind, there's two strands for dealing with this.

a). "You dont have to play from there. The rules allow you to replay your shot under stroke and distance if you want".
b). "I'd play your shot from over there again . The rules allow it under stroke and distance".

I think one is advice and one isn't - but interested to hear expert opinion?
(b) is definitely not ok

(a) is borderline but I would certainly defer to others if they have a more conclusive view. The bit that troubles me is the first sentence: "You dont have to play from there." I'd be more comfortable with something like: "Do you know that there is a rule that allows you to play again (under penalty) from your previous spot?" And then - as necessary - explain the stroke and distance rule.

Interpretation Advice/1 - Verbal Comments or Actions That Are Advice

Examples of when comments or actions are considered advice and are not allowed include:

* A player's ball is lying badly and the player is deliberating what action to take. Another player comments, "You have no shot at all. If I were you, I would decide to take unplayable ball relief." This comment is advice because it could have influenced the player in deciding how to play during a hole.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Rule 18.1 applies. You may at any time from anywhere on the course take stroke and distance relief.
From a Referee's pov, how would you have replied to a question by a player (who hit it into the bunker) in the same situation as described in the OP who asked 'What are my options in this situation?'

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Ok yes that’s cleared up, but what’s confusing me now ( and there must be a simple answer I’m missing) if I hit a ball into a greenside bunker I was told of some options …a,to drop in the bunker with a one stroke penalty…b, to drop outside of bunker with 2 shot penalty.

So what’s the difference with my original question and getting a one shot penalty and second question and getting a two shot penalty.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
From a Referee's pov, how would you have replied to a question by a player (who hit it into the bunker) in the same situation as described in the OP who asked 'What are my options in this situation?'
I'd reply by telling the player all of his options, which would appear to be:
- play it as it lies
- stroke and distance (Rule 18.1)
- unplayable (four options - s&d, lateral in bunker, bol in bunker, all with 1 ps; bol outside bunker with 2 ps).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd reply by telling the player all of his options, which would appear to be:
- play it as it lies
- stroke and distance (Rule 18.1)
- unplayable (four options - s&d, lateral in bunker, bol in bunker, all with 1 ps; bol outside bunker with 2 ps).
That's what I figured.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Ok yes that’s cleared up, but what’s confusing me now ( and there must be a simple answer I’m missing) if I hit a ball into a greenside bunker I was told of some options …a,to drop in the bunker with a one stroke penalty…b, to drop outside of bunker with 2 shot penalty.

So what’s the difference with my original question and getting a one shot penalty and second question and getting a two shot penalty.
Have a look at Rule 19.3, including diagram 19.3. The options are explained there. One penalty stroke when you use the 'normal' unplayable penalty relief options and drop the ball IN the bunker (or take stroke and distance). But for two penalty strokes you can take back on the line relief and drop the ball OUTSIDE the bunker.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
(b) is definitely not ok

(a) is borderline but I would certainly defer to others if they have a more conclusive view. The bit that troubles me is the first sentence: "You dont have to play from there." I'd be more comfortable with something like: "Do you know that there is a rule that allows you to play again (under penalty) from your previous spot?" And then - as necessary - explain the stroke and distance rule.

Interpretation Advice/1 - Verbal Comments or Actions That Are Advice

Examples of when comments or actions are considered advice and are not allowed include:

* A player's ball is lying badly and the player is deliberating what action to take. Another player comments, "You have no shot at all. If I were you, I would decide to take unplayable ball relief." This comment is advice because it could have influenced the player in deciding how to play during a hole.
Agree the first part of (a) is not definitive on the words alone and further context may be needed to rule out "advice", or questions could be asked to clarify the speaker's intent.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a look at Rule 19.3, including diagram 19.3. The options are explained there. One penalty stroke when you use the 'normal' unplayable penalty relief options and drop the ball IN the bunker (or take stroke and distance). But for two penalty strokes you can take back on the line relief and drop the ball OUTSIDE the bunker.

I had a look at 19.3 and diagram I understand that rule, but I still don’t understand the following…… if I chip from the fringe of the green and ball goes through the green into a bunker I can take the ball out of bunker and replay the shot under a one shot penalty.

If I’m 5/10 yards behind a greenside bunker and play a poor shot into bunker one of the options is to take the ball outside bunker for a 2 shot penalty.

As I say there must be something simple I’m missing, why under these two examples are there a one shot penalty for one and a two shot penalty for the other.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I had a look at 19.3 and diagram I understand that rule, but I still don’t understand the following…… if I chip from the fringe of the green and ball goes through the green into a bunker I can take the ball out of bunker and replay the shot under a one shot penalty.

If I’m 5/10 yards behind a greenside bunker and play a poor shot into bunker one of the options is to take the ball outside bunker for a 2 shot penalty.

As I say there must be something simple I’m missing, why under these two examples are there a one shot penalty for one and a two shot penalty for the other.
In both cases - no matter where your ball has ended up (including in a bunker) - one of the options is to play your next shot from where you played your previous stroke under penalty of stroke and distance.

In both cases - if your ball has ended up in the bunker - one of your options is to take back on the line relief outside the bunker for a two stroke penalty.