Replacing my grips - old tape question

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
My replacement grips arrived in the post today.
Looking forward to a little project saturday night

Anyway, i've just taken a club I wont be using this weekend and removed the current grip. Just to get an idea of what's underneath (they're very old hand me downs and I've certainly never changed the grips in 4 years and I doubt my uncle will have in god knows how many years)

The grip tape underneath is pretty grimy and looks old. I started to peel it off with a stanley knife (steel shafts..not graphite) and it's quite hard to get it all off neatly.

My question is, will there be a noticable difference if there's bits and bobs left on? (ie, not a completely clean removal)
I understand you can double tape to increase thickness, so i'm wondering if the thickness will be noticable in the spots where the tape remains.

Here's an exaggerated example of what i mean (it'll be a cleaner job on Saturday night)
DSC_1744_zpsc2iw6xra.jpg

Notice the 'stripes' of tape running parallel with the shaft toward the bottom

Thanks,
Callum

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Worth taking the time to get it all off in my view. Probably won't matter too much but for 10 mins effort with some soap and water, or white spirit, you will get a nice clean finish and the perfect surface for the new grips.

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks like white spirit is the way then haha.

I'm off to The Range to get a new stanley knife and some other bits and bobs so i'll pick it up there.

Thanks everyone!

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the tips

I should add, half of the tape comes off stuck to the inside of the grip. So i can't just grab it to pull off
The best way to describe it is when you have a sticker and peel off the backing, you're left with 2 pieces

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you fit the new grip just make sure you soak the grip and tape in white spirit, when you've used what you think is enough, use more! It makes life so much easier!!

If you do it over a drip tray you can just keep reusing the same stuff

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys,
Quick question. The first grip i did I left the backing tape on (oops!)
All went on fine and I've got another 4 iron exactly the same spec, model etc. Just wondering if it would work to do a comparison, as the one I've regripped will have a slightly thicker grip.

I just dont know if the new grip will slip because the backing tape is pretty slippy?

Cheers

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Serious question, why do your own?

My pro is now doing me ten clubs for £58 fitted.

Cant even buy the Golf Pride multi compound Plus 4 for the price he is fitting them for.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Serious question, why do your own?

My pro is now doing me ten clubs for £58 fitted.

Cant even buy the Golf Pride multi compound Plus 4 for the price he is fitting them for.

This. I buy what I want usually off Gamola and the pro fits it for the cost of the materials and his time. I get the grips I want, fitted perfectly and no hassle