Reparing the hole

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you repair damage to the hole, if it is easily repairable?
Or does this have to be done by a "proper" person like commmittee member or greenstaff?

I mean minimal stuff, like tidying up a lump in the inner edge which can be smoothed with a light tap of a ball.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spend my whole round repairing damage to the hole/holes.Exactly the reason why they should ban those ball lifter grip attachments..The hole is demolished by people sliding the putter shaft down the rim of the hole to remove there ball.Cannot remember the last time i seen a completely round,square edged hole at my home course.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's OK if you do it after you hole out as a courtesy to other players.

After we had putted out, I went to tidy the hole - I think someone had clipped edge with the pin or a club - and my playing partner stopped me, telling me that only greenstaff could repair the hole.:confused:
I disagreed with her but left it alone just in case

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I spend my whole round repairing damage to the hole/holes.Exactly the reason why they should ban those ball lifter grip attachments..The hole is demolished by people sliding the putter shaft down the rim of the hole to remove there ball.Cannot remember the last time i seen a completely round,square edged hole at my home course.

Used properly, they shouldn't damage the hole, but clearly people are being careless.

Woe betide anyone playing with me who hoiks ball out of hole with head of their putter:angry:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Rosecott says, no penalty if done after you have all holed out as a courtesy to players in following groups.

There are Decisions on this which set out what you can and can't do.

1-2/3.5 Player Repairs Hole After Holing Out But Before Opponent, Fellow-Competitor or Partner Holes Out

"Q. After holing out, a player observes that the edge of the hole is ragged. He pats the ragged edge with his hand and smoothes it. Does the player incur a penalty under Rule 1-2 if his opponent, fellow-competitor or partner has not holed out?"

"A. If the player smoothed the edge of the hole solely for the purpose of caring for the course, he was not in breach of Rule 1-2. However, if the smoothing of the ragged edge was in any way intended to influence the movement of his opponent's, fellow-competitor's or partner's ball, or alter physical conditions with the intent of affecting the playing of the hole, he was in breach of Rule 1-2.

It is recommended that a player should only smooth the ragged edge of a hole after all players in the group or match have completed play of the hole.

As the player had holed out, he is not subject to penalty under Rule 16-1a or Rule 13-2.

In a four-ball competition, if the player's partner had not completed play of the hole, the partner incurs the penalty for a breach of Rule 16-1a - see Definition of "Partner". (Revised)"

16-1a/6 Damaged Hole; Procedure for Player

"Q. Prior to putting, a player discovers that the hole has been damaged. What is the proper procedure?"

"A. If the damage is not clearly identifiable as a ball mark, then:

(a) If the damage is such that the proper dimensions of the hole have not been changed materially, the player should continue play without repairing the hole. If he touches the hole in such circumstances, a breach of Rule 16-1a (Touching Line of Putt) occurs.

(b) If the proper dimensions of the hole have been changed materially, the player should request the Committee to have the hole repaired. If a member of the Committee is not readily available, the player may repair the damage, without penalty.

If a player repairs a materially damaged hole when a member of the Committee is readily available, he incurs a penalty for a breach of Rule 16-1a. (Revised)"

In addition Decision 1-2/0.7 Meaning of "Sole Purpose of Caring for the Course" includes the following statement

" For example, while a player may not smooth the ragged edge of a hole or tap down spike marks in order to influence the movement of a ball of an opponent, fellow-competitor or partner, the player may generally smooth the ragged edge of a hole or tap down spike marks as a courtesy to players in following groups or matches, or for care of the course."

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you mashieniblick for those decisions
It sounds like the latter decision is the one she was thinking of, while the first one covers what I wanted to do.
I guess it depends on the extent of the damage and if it is a easily repairable..