Removing a playing partner's ball from the hole

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could always get one of those little gadgets that go on the handle of your putter for picking the ball out of the hole :D

Well, I do have one, to be honest, but it would have spoiled the conversation to have admitted that.

Anyone want to argue I have made my putter non-conforming? :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The one "rule" you should always play by in this situation is to say.

"I will make a note on the card and check it before I submit."

You are well within your rights to play on to the end of the round as normal as far as I know.

I have always been told to proceed as best you can and deal with it when you get to the clubhouse. If you are wrong and get a DQ or blob the hole then lesson learnt, if you are right then you can enjoy any benefits of your score.

As I understand it there is no rule that says you should instantly cease play and walk in the moment you think you may have been disqualified.

Last edited:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you imagine the play-off for the Open, as one player sprints to the cup, picks out his opponent's ball out of the cup tosses it to him and tells to remember to add the penalty shot/s. I have visions of Steve Williams rugby-tackling Tiger to allow Adam to pick Tiger's ball out and cost him penalty shots.

I would love to see this actually, it would bring a whole new aspect to golf!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is 1 circumstance where this 'myth' does have validity.

The ball has to be 'holed' - defined as:

A ball is "holed" when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole.

17-4 is the relevant Rule (Ball Resting Against Flagstick) - and there's Decisions based on differing circumstances. 17-4/3 would probably the relevant one in this case (ball lodged against Flagstick removed by unauthorised person).

In Strokeplay, Should the ball not actually be holed before teeing off on the next hole (or all players leave green if last hole), player is DQ-ed from comp.

So, as usual, there is a sort of basis for the 'myth'!

Key first question though is 'was the ball actually holed?' If the answer was 'Yes', then just tell him and laugh at the pillock!
Interesting that he decided to come all the way to the green to tell you too!

there really isn't anything within the original post that suggests, or support, the premise that anything supports the statements made.

if the player had teed off from the next tee, and was approached there, possibly. not even an inference that this is the case here.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
there really isn't anything within the original post that suggests, or support, the premise that anything supports the statements made.

if the player had teed off from the next tee, and was approached there, possibly. not even an inference that this is the case here.

I was merely postulating where the mythical opinion of the pillock in the group behind may have originated - the circumstances and consequences that might have made him think that a DQ was required.

I wasn't actually saying that that was what had happened - though I guess there was a 'reminder' to check.

I presume that my hypothetical 1 circumstance (that doesn't seem to have been the case here) as correct re Rules, Requirements and Consequences?

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
25 posts to answer the question "is it ok to pick someone elses ball out the hole"

yes:whistle:

no wonder golf rules get so complicated:rofl:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The scenario - you play your third shot to a par 5 from 60/70 yards and hole out for eagle. As you approach the green one of your playing partners, before removing the flag, removes your ball from the hole and throws it to you with a compliment. I believe this (I may be wrong) to be against the rules and perhaps this should result in a one or two stroke penalty. As it turned out a fellow member from the group behind immediately approaches you stating that you are disqualified from the competition as you did not remove your own ball from the hole. Am I not right in saying that disqualification should only occur if the eagle was signed for at the end of play instead of the correct score with an additional one or two shot penalty i.e. a 4 or 5. Petty or what??

What a load of nonsense. Thank you playing partner for sparing your poor back, tell the other guy to go back to his group and write down a 3.