Relief ruling for golf all trapped in safety net

Roger Westwell

Visit site
Help please. What is the correct ruling for this situation?

This photo shows where my tee shot ended up. Inside a safety net around a tee box!! I would add that the ball is about knee height above ground.

IMG_6444.jpg
Dropping the ball to the ground directly below its trapped position would result in the safety net impeding my swing.

Taking a club distance relief, no nearer the hole, would result in the safety net being directly in line with my intended ball flight.

Would I be entitled to take free relief to the side of the safety net so it did not block the flight of my ball?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Free relief for interference to lie of ball, area of intended stance or swing is available under Rule 16, using the spot on the ground immediately below the ball as the position of the ball. Free relief for line of play is not available under Rule 16, and is only available by Local Rule (Model Local Rule E-6). The Local Rule needs to be implemented by the Committee in charge of the competition or course to be in effect.
In stroke play, you could play two balls and seek the ruling later.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would expect there to be a local rule. At my club if it is the netting then it is a free drop at the nearest point of relief.
If you mean the nearest point of relief from line of play interference, your Committee should take a look at Model Local Rule E-6 which rulie mentions above. It permits free relief to a dropping zone, not the nearest point of relief.

Plus, I should add, a dropping zone is used as a means of limiting how far away from the fence your ball can be to be entitled to relief. That, depending on the situation, can be very important in terms of preventing players getting out of trouble unreasonably. for instance just because the fence is on their line of play a hundred metres away from the horrible lie their ball is in.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This photo shows where my tee shot ended up. Inside a safety net around a tee box!! I would add that the ball is about knee height above ground.

View attachment 55317
Dropping the ball to the ground directly below its trapped position would result in the safety net impeding my swing.

Taking a club distance relief, no nearer the hole, would result in the safety net being directly in line with my intended ball flight.

Would I be entitled to take free relief to the side of the safety net so it did not block the flight of my ball?

There is no line of play relief for an immovable obstruction.
However the nearest point of relief may give such relief unless a club has a LR in place denying other side of the fence relief*. Ref R&A model Local Rule F-25.1

The club would only be allowed to have a drop zone for the fence if it's position is considered to be close enough to interfere with a reasonable line of
play.

* we have such a rule where I play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 55317

MLR E-6 is designed specifically for this situation.

E-6 Line of Play Relief for Protective Fence​

Purpose. A fence (or similar protective screen) is sometimes used to protect players on one hole from shots played at another hole.

If such a fence is close to the playing area for another hole, the Committee can choose to use a dropping zone or zones to give a player an extra relief option without penalty when they are playing that other hole and the fence is on the line of play.

The player should be entitled to relief only when the ball is nearer the hole than a dropping zone, so that a player whose ball is well away from the fence is not allowed to move forward to the dropping zone or zones. The Committee should take this into consideration when positioning the dropping zone to ensure that this relief will be available only for situations where it believes such free relief is justified.

Model Local Rule E-6

“During play of the [specify hole number], if the protective fence on the [specify hole number] is on a player’s line of play:

• The player may take free relief by dropping a ball in and playing it from the dropping zone (describe location).
  • But this relief is only allowed if the ball is in play nearer the hole than where the dropping zone is located (see Rule 14.3).
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Local Rule: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a.”

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hold your hand to your brow, shading your eyes, and say "what a corker".

Surreptitiously pocket the ball as you walk by and discreetly drop it 250 yards down the fairway.

Proceed as normal and play second shot.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hold your hand to your brow, shading your eyes, and say "what a corker".

Surreptitiously pocket the ball as you walk by and discreetly drop it 250 yards down the fairway.

Proceed as normal and play second shot.
I'm sure that except for the 250 yards part, that's what most people will do anyway.

Since the netting is probably in place to protect a tee box close to the green which you're approaching,
250 yards down the fairway wouldn't help that much.

Roger Westwell

Visit site
There is no line of play relief for an immovable obstruction.
However the nearest point of relief may give such relief unless a club has a LR in place denying other side of the fence relief*. Ref R&A model Local Rule F-25.1

The club would only be allowed to have a drop zone for the fence if it's position is considered to be close enough to interfere with a reasonable line of
play.

* we have such a rule where I play.
Thanks. We do not have a local rule. The net is on the right of the fairway. Perhaps I should hit the ball straighter. 👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks. We do not have a local rule. The net is on the right of the fairway. Perhaps I should hit the ball straighter. 👍
If it is a Safety Fence and balls are frequently trapped behind it, it might be worth asking your committee to introduce the local rule. They may not be aware of it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the fence is on the right side of the fairway and assuming the ball is on the other side of the fence if you are a right handed player then the nearest point of relief would be on the fairway side of the fence (in the absence of a LR rule reference MLR F. 25.1

You may get get some older players saying you have to drop the other side but the rule saying you must not pass under or through the immovable obstruction for NPR went out of the rule book many years ago.

If it is a Safety Fence and balls are frequently trapped behind it, it might be worth asking your committee to introduce the local rule. They may not be aware of it.
I presume you mean the rule for a drop zone and not the one I am referring to.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I presume you mean the rule for a drop zone and not the one I am referring to.
Yes. As I said, MLR E-6 is designed specifically for this situation.

But re-reading the OP I'm now not clear about the direction of play before and after the drop.
If the fence had not been there in what direction would he have played?
As it was there, having taken relief from the fence (an IO) would his line of play be different?

Last edited: