Relief in Bunkers

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was asked about this recently and wasn't sure of the answer. Could anyone help please?

A ball is in a bunker with a large amount of water in it. Realistically there is little option for a drop in the bunker - the only sand not nearer the hole is a narrow strip on the downslope at the back of the bunker which would involve 2 drops and a place. If the player decided this was unplayable and decided to drop the ball outside the bunker would it be a 1 stroke or 2 stroke penalty?

Would it make any difference if the player had little stance in the bunker or had to have one or both feet outside?

I understand the normal optoins:
  1. Play it as it lies
  2. Take full or partial relief no nearer the hole - no penalty
  3. Take a penalty drop outside the bunker despite option to drop - 2 shot penalty
  4. Completely flooded bunker - drop outide - 1 shot penalty

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
c. Relief for Ball in Bunker

If a player’s ball is in a bunker and there is interference by an abnormal course condition on the course, the player may take either free relief under (1) or penalty relief under (2):

(1) Free Relief: Playing from Bunker. The player may take free relief under Rule 16.1b, except that:
• The nearest point of complete relief and the relief area must be in the bunker.
• If there is no such nearest point of complete relief in the bunker, the player may still take this relief by using the point of maximum available relief in the bunker as the reference point.

(2) Penalty Relief: Playing from Outside Bunker (Back-On-the-Line Relief). For one penalty stroke, the player may drop the original ball or another ball (see Rule 14.3) in a relief area that is based on a reference line going straight back from the hole through the spot of the original ball:

brfcfan

Visit site
c. Relief for Ball in Bunker

If a player’s ball is in a bunker and there is interference by an abnormal course condition on the course, the player may take either free relief under (1) or penalty relief under (2):

(1) Free Relief: Playing from Bunker. The player may take free relief under Rule 16.1b, except that:
• The nearest point of complete relief and the relief area must be in the bunker.
• If there is no such nearest point of complete relief in the bunker, the player may still take this relief by using the point of maximum available relief in the bunker as the reference point.

(2) Penalty Relief: Playing from Outside Bunker (Back-On-the-Line Relief). For one penalty stroke, the player may drop the original ball or another ball (see Rule 14.3) in a relief area that is based on a reference line going straight back from the hole through the spot of the original ball:
Cant you also go back and take the shot again, under penalty of shot and distance?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was asked about this recently and wasn't sure of the answer. Could anyone help please?

A ball is in a bunker with a large amount of water in it. THE ONLY RELEVANT POINT IS WHETHER THERE IS INTERFERENCE FROM AN ACC Realistically there is little option for a drop in the bunker - the only sand not nearer the hole is a narrow strip on the downslope at the back of the bunker which would involve 2 drops and a place. If the player decided this was unplayable IF THERE WAS INTERFERENCE FROM ACC ITS NOT AN UNPLAYABLE SITUATION and decided to drop the ball outside the bunker would it be a 1 stroke or 2 stroke penalty?

Would it make any difference if the player had little stance in the bunker or had to have one or both feet outside? IRRELEVANT

I understand the normal optoins:AS JIM HAS POSTED
  1. Play it as it lies
  2. Take full or partial relief no nearer the hole - no penalty
  3. Take a penalty drop outside the bunker despite option to drop - 2 shot penalty THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE - WHAT OPTION TO DROP
  4. Completely flooded bunker ONLY MATTERS IF THERE WAS ORIGINALLY INTERFERENCE FROM ACCOUNT - drop outide - 1 shot penalty

Rather than write an essay I've annotated the above with the relevant aspects to then apply against the rule, as posted.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
For an abnormal course condition (eg, temporary water) in a bunker, you have these options:
- find the nearest point of complete relief in the bunker (no closer to the hole) - no penalty
- if there isn't a nearest point of complete relief in the bunker, find the point of maximum available relief in the bunker (no closer to the hole) - no penalty
- for one penalty stroke, drop outside the bunker (back-on-the-line relief) using the spot where the ball originally lay and the flagstick

Of course, you could deem the ball unplayable and drop outside the bunker (back-on-the-line) for two penalty strokes. (But that wouldn't be my choice!)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
- for one penalty stroke, drop outside the bunker (back-on-the-line relief) using the spot where the ball originally lay and the flagstick

Of course, you could deem the ball unplayable and drop outside the bunker (back-on-the-line) for two penalty strokes. (But that wouldn't be my choice!)

Have I missed something here. These look the same so why would you have or choose the 2nd example.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have I missed something here. These look the same so why would you have or choose the 2nd example.
You have the option to take Unplayable relief at any time your ball is not in a penalty area. When your ball lies in a bunker it costs you 2 strokes to drop it back on line outside the bunker.
You always have the option to proceed under stroke and distance.
And then you have various options based on circumstances which may, or may not, be more advantageous.