Relief from road edge

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
The other day my my ball came to rest next to a driveway into the golf club. If the ball was on the road I would have been able to take relief for an immovable obstruction however i was 5-10cm off the road where the ground was below the height of the road surface. Am I still entitled to relief as I will either hit my club on the road surface on follow through and/or the ball will hit the road edge. Would it make any difference if I am partial stood on the road for my stance?

Thoughts, thanks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have to stand on the road, then I'd say yeah. If your club will definitely hit the road surface then I'd say yeah. If neither of those are true then no. No expert but that's what I would assume.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other day my my ball came to rest next to a driveway into the golf club. If the ball was on the road I would have been able to take relief for an immovable obstruction however i was 5-10cm off the road where the ground was below the height of the road surface. Am I still entitled to relief as I will either hit my club on the road surface on follow through and/or the ball will hit the road edge. Would it make any difference if I am partial stood on the road for my stance?

Thoughts, thanks.
Certainly having to stand on the road would give you free relief but you can't just stand on the road in order to get relief.
But it sounds as if you would get relief for interference with you swing anyway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First read the local rules to check to see if the road is OB.

There is no relief for an immovable obstruction in OB.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thoughts, thanks.
No relief allowed if it were only a matter of the ball maybe hitting the edge of the road.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no OB to worry about. So relief

if ordinary stance is affected by road
or road would affect swing - i.e.hitting road edge on follow through

but no relief if i was hoping to play a low shot that will will the road edge

thanks