Relief from fusarium patch on the green?

Gavin.s

Visit site
Recently following the wet weather, the green's at my course have been suffering from fusarium desease. It's becoming worse and with the ban on treatments with fungicides containing certain chemicals. Is there any relief if your ball is sat in a patch?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recently following the wet weather, the green's at my course have been suffering from fusarium desease. It's becoming worse and with the ban on treatments with fungicides containing certain chemicals. Is there any relief if your ball is sat in a patch?
Not unless the area is marked as GUR.

Ferrous Sulphate is cheap and widely available. Surprised if your greenkeeper hasn't been using it.

Gavin.s

Visit site
We've had couple of head keepers and a few turn over of staff recently so wouldn't surprise me if not! Currently members have been helping to fill the gaps

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've had couple of head keepers and a few turn over of staff recently so wouldn't surprise me if not! Currently members have been helping to fill the gaps
There is in fact a new product on the market for golf tees and greens, which has only just been approved. "Ascernity" from Syngenta.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not unless the area is marked as GUR.

Ferrous Sulphate is cheap and widely available. Surprised if your greenkeeper hasn't been using it.
Is there a local rule option for a ball sitting on a damaged green, similar to hollow-tine?

If it's bad, I can understand why relief on the line of putt would be a nightmare, but at least when the ball is stationary you could get relief from an abnormal ground condition.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It doesn't need such a LR, GUR/AGC is perfectly satisfactory.
I think it does need to be clarified that only the spot where the ball is sitting is GUR. Otherwise all the spots between the ball and hole would also be GUR and relief for all of them for a ball on the green would be permitted (Rules 16.1a(1), last bullet and 16.1d)
I once made such a Local Rule (relief only for where the ball lies) for a provincial championship. It was much appreciated by the players and the Committee.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are in fact very effective treatments available they just have to be applied when conditions are such that greens are vulnerable. So no use waiting for the fusarium to show..... damage done & it'll take some time to get them back.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it does need to be clarified that only the spot where the ball is sitting is GUR. Otherwise all the spots between the ball and hole would also be GUR and relief for all of them for a ball on the green would be permitted (Rules 16.1a(1), last bullet and 16.1d)
I once made such a Local Rule (relief only for where the ball lies) for a provincial championship. It was much appreciated by the players and the Committee.
Good point.

Swango1980

Visit site
It doesn't need such a LR, GUR/AGC is perfectly satisfactory.
If there is no need for such a local rule, why is the following in the Model Local Rules (not sure if I misunderstood the question):

E-4
Relief from Aeration Holes

Purpose. Aeration holes do not fall within the meaning of holes made by the maintenance staff or “damage on the putting green” in Rule 13.1c. Therefore players are not allowed to repair them on the putting green or take free relief from them in the general area or on the putting green, but such holes can interfere with the proper playing of the game.If the Committee declares aeration holes to be ground under repair, a player may find it impractical or impossible to obtain complete relief. Therefore, when aeration holes may significantly interfere with the lie of the ball, the Committee can choose to give relief for a ball that lies in or touches an aeration hole. This Local Rule should be withdrawn when the aeration holes have healed enough to avoid significant interference.

Model Local Rule E-4
"If a player's ball lies in or touches an aeration hole:
(a) Ball in General Area. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1b. If the ball comes to rest in another aeration hole the player may take relief again under this Local Rule.
(b) Ball on Putting Green. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1d.
But interference does not exist if the aeration hole only interferes with the player's stance or area of intended swing or, on the putting green, on the player's line of play.
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Local Rule: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If there is no need for such a local rule, why is the following in the Model Local Rules (not sure if I misunderstood the question):

E-4
Relief from Aeration Holes

Purpose. Aeration holes do not fall within the meaning of holes made by the maintenance staff or “damage on the putting green” in Rule 13.1c. Therefore players are not allowed to repair them on the putting green or take free relief from them in the general area or on the putting green, but such holes can interfere with the proper playing of the game.If the Committee declares aeration holes to be ground under repair, a player may find it impractical or impossible to obtain complete relief. Therefore, when aeration holes may significantly interfere with the lie of the ball, the Committee can choose to give relief for a ball that lies in or touches an aeration hole. This Local Rule should be withdrawn when the aeration holes have healed enough to avoid significant interference.

Model Local Rule E-4
"If a player's ball lies in or touches an aeration hole:
(a) Ball in General Area. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1b. If the ball comes to rest in another aeration hole the player may take relief again under this Local Rule.
(b) Ball on Putting Green. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1d.
But interference does not exist if the aeration hole only interferes with the player's stance or area of intended swing or, on the putting green, on the player's line of play.
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Local Rule: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a
See the diagram 16.1d. I was picturing a relatively large area of AGC (ie the fusarium affected turf). Rulie's post is I believe, about a number of smaller patches between the ball and the hole.

Swango1980

Visit site
See the diagram 16.1d. I was picturing a relatively large area of AGC (ie the fusarium affected turf). Rulie's post is I believe, about a number of smaller patches between the ball and the hole.
OK. When I read the question, that said "similar to hollow-tine", I was picturing a player wondering what to do if their ball lay on one of those small holes, but there wasn't actually large area damage on the green

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there a local rule option for a ball sitting on a damaged green, similar to hollow-tine?

If it's bad, I can understand why relief on the line of putt would be a nightmare, but at least when the ball is stationary you could get relief from an abnormal ground condition.

On a green you may repair any 'damage'

13(2)

But “damage on the putting green” does not include any damage or conditions
that result from:

• Natural surface imperfections (such as weeds or areas of bare, diseased or
uneven growth),

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I finally found the pictures of the greens that we made a local Rule for, relief for lie of the ball only.
1698364718174.png

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I finally found the pictures of the greens that we made a local Rule for, relief for lie of the ball only.
View attachment 50167
We used to see that sort of problem frequently until a few years ago. Our new head g'keeper (previously deputy) changed the approach to using a defence package which utilizes Iron, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphite applied every three to four weeks. We now only see a very occasional mild outbreak. He is eagerly anticipating the new Syngenta product.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The conditions are different when the course has four to five months of snow cover and temps to -35*C. Spring conditions all depend on what treatments were able to be put down in the fall and the way that "winter"/snow arrived, suddenly or gradually, early or late.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Our place had a course health report done by some official body last year and were advised to stronger type of grass to overcome disease. A Bent mix I think

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our place had a course health report done by some official body last year and were advised to stronger type of grass to overcome disease. A Bent mix I think
Probably the STRI (Now the STRI Group)
Probably mixed with Hard Fescue (Festuca longifolia)

Last edited: