Releasing too late with the Driver

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have any good exercises or tips to help me with releasing my driver at the right point. I have a problem whereby I release far too late, especially when I really try to rip it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you hold it correctly, you shouldn't have to think about the release, it should happen naturally.
I suspect its not the release that's the problem, it's the arms not working in time with the rest of the body.
As you say, it's worse when you hit it hard, your body turns too soon, your arms cant catch up....slice.
try and keep the arms and torso turning through the ball together and you should get a better impact position. :)

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
...try and keep the arms and torso turning through the ball together and you should get a better impact position. :)

Thanks. Would me not clearing my hips properly cause a very open clubface and a big slice? I wasn't really familiar with clearing the hips, but after seeing some videos on YouTube, (and looking back at some of the swing videos I have of myself), I see it's something I suffer from. Worked on it at the range yesterday and my drives were going a bit straighter, (and I managed one more mph on my launch monitor thing! ;) )

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...try and keep the arms and torso turning through the ball together and you should get a better impact position. :)

Thanks. Would me not clearing my hips properly cause a very open clubface and a big slice? I wasn't really familiar with clearing the hips, but after seeing some videos on YouTube, (and looking back at some of the swing videos I have of myself), I see it's something I suffer from. Worked on it at the range yesterday and my drives were going a bit straighter, (and I managed one more mph on my launch monitor thing! ;) )

You've got your own launch monitor?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You've got your own launch monitor?

My mate has one, you can buy them for about £80 I think, but they only give you a rough idea of distance according to launch speed..... 'accurate' isn't a word I'd associate with them. Doesn't take impact angle/launch angle or spin into the equation so if you thin one it will still say that it went 150yds even though it hit the ground 20yds away from you.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mine's not that clever, and calling it a "launch monitor" is a misnomer...it's just a radar thing that measures ball speed, but I think it's pretty accurate. Well, it's consistent, put it that way.