Release drills?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know of any good drill to improve the release of the club?

I seemingly struggle to square up the club face so often hit alot of pushed shots, often with the longer clubs and woods/hybrids.

My grip is fairly neutral if maybe boardering on the very slightly strong. (Before someone mentions it)

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know of any good drill to improve the release of the club?

I seemingly struggle to square up the club face so often hit alot of pushed shots, often with the longer clubs and woods/hybrids.

My grip is fairly neutral if maybe boardering on the very slightly strong. (Before someone mentions it)

Obviously not an expert but I had a lesson recently and felt embarassed when he mentioned my grip was strong... Kinda thought I was doing the basics right atleast. What a difference it makes to make sure you are neautral... Mine was only slightly strong but was definitely making the difference!

Like my pro said I know it feels really weird now trying to change it but its worth it if you want to stop lose leaked shots.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Could it possibly be closed shoulders in relation to my footline?

Possibly but unlikely.
The normal tendency is for the shoulders to be OPEN to the feet line.
Another cause could be the swing is out to in a touch which can result in the face open.
Does the ball curl right or just fly striaght right?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can be both. More often slight fade.

So if you have a slight fade, the club's path is probably a bit out to in. so to stop the ball from starting left, you may be holding open the club face without realising it.
That might also cause the longer clubs to fly very high.
The problem then is, if you start to square up the clubface to the swingpath at impact, you'll start hitting them straight left.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if you have a slight fade, the club's path is probably a bit out to in. so to stop the ball from starting left, you may be holding open the club face without realising it.
That might also cause the longer clubs to fly very high.
The problem then is, if you start to square up the clubface to the swingpath at impact, you'll start hitting them straight left.

I do get some when I block straight left, more often with irons that woods though.
I have another look at my swing path, I've always struggled with an out to in path.

Thanks Bob, your help is very appreciated!