Reducing carbon emissions

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a read of this instead of thinking we are not doing anything….

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/uk-and-global-emissions-and-temperature-trends/

We were responsible for just 1.1% of global greenhouse gas emissions last year, and since 1990 to present day our emissions have fallen by 49%. That proves to me we are a responsible country and are more than doing our bit.

Btw China’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1990 have tripled.

https://rhg.com/research/chinas-emissions-surpass-developed-countries/

Oh sorry sir I couldn't be bothered to do my work but look nor has Dave ...

If it's 1% or 50% it still makes a difference

And if we move away from bad energy then it stops the production of say gas boilers or coal mining it has a knock on affect round the globe

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Btw China’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1990 have tripled.

https://rhg.com/research/chinas-emissions-surpass-developed-countries/
Notwithstanding the absolute need for China to reduce its emissions, the report above appropriately highlights the fact that it's significantly less of a polluter than USA - on a per capita basis. 10.1 tons vs US's 17.6 and is actually slightly below the average of OECD average of 10.5 tons!
Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
So, knowing that golf courses are a long way from being carbon neutral, golf balls release heavy metal elements into the soil, the industry has massive plastic production, and the courses themselves are harmful to the local biosphere, we'll all be giving up tomorrow.

No? Well why not?

D

Deleted member 15344

So, knowing that golf courses are a long way from being carbon neutral, golf balls release heavy metal elements into the soil, the industry has massive plastic production, and the courses themselves are harmful to the local biosphere, we'll all be giving up tomorrow.

No? Well why not?
No tax relief ?‍♂️

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No? Well why not?
Can you explain how golf balls release heavy metal elements into the soil and in what quantities. I'm not suggesting its not true but as you've raised it then maybe you can explain how it happens and how it affects the environment.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Its was 100% google, apparently zinc oxide and zinc acrylate in solid core balls is bad, particularly in water...

They do take ages to decompose, but, well thats not a good thing either...

D

Deleted member 15344

Well the “deal” tells you all you need to know about what the major players think about climate control with the last minute change on fossil fuels

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Notwithstanding the absolute need for China to reduce its emissions, the report above appropriately highlights the fact that it's significantly less of a polluter than USA - on a per capita basis. 10.1 tons vs US's 17.6 and is actually slightly below the average of OECD average of 10.5 tons!
Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics!

If it’s per capita that rocks your world, Saudi’s, Kazak’s and Aussies all worse than the US.
https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
When you have a look at the world polluters you have to wonder why our government is rushing to bankrupt us to achieve Net Zero status when it won’t make a blind bit of difference to the planet?

And talking of pollution here is a list of the 25 dirtiest cities in the world…..
Lahore, Pakistan
Ghaziabad, India
Delhi, India
Aguascalientes, Mexico
New Delhi, India
Lucknow, India
Muzaffarnagar, India
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Peshawar, Pakistan
Hapur, India
Patna, India
Kampala, Uganda
Kabul, Afghanistan
Chandigarh, India
Jaipur, India
Gandhinagar, India
Bamako, Mali
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Baghdad, Iraq
Kolkata, India
Manama, Bahrain
Karachi, Pakistan
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Hawalli, Kuwait
Visakhapatnam, India

Notice a theme? (I’m looking forward to Greta and her band of crazies trying to stop the traffic in downtown Dhaka)

Contrast to the 10 least polluted cities…..
Zurich, Switzerland
Hobart, Australia
Reykjavik, Iceland
Launceston, Australia
Honolulu, US
Vitoria, Brazil
Bergen, Norway
Wollongong, Australia
Turku, Finland
Funchal, Portugal

So why is the focus on the First World, forcing us to make all the sacrifices?

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/25-most-polluted-cities-world-2021-rankings/

https://smarta
If it’s per capita that rocks your world, Saudi’s, Kazak’s and Aussies all worse than the US.
That is merely looking at current emmisions. Over the last 100 years the USA are far and away the leader for both total and per capita, with the UK and Germany are not far behind. Europe, the US and the west in general are also the biggest consumers of products with produced with the help of fossill fuels. Yes China India etc need to up to the mark but progress will only made when the west accepts its resposibilities for where we are today and takes the lead in reducing emmisions. This can be a win if we invest in the right technologies that can later be sold to the emerging economies, though I fear we have missed that boat with China leading the way in that respect.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
That is merely looking at current emmisions. Over the last 100 years the USA are far and away the leader for both total and per capita, with the UK and Germany are not far behind. Europe, the US and the west in general are also the biggest consumers of products with produced with the help of fossill fuels. Yes China India etc need to up to the mark but progress will only made when the west accepts its resposibilities for where we are today and takes the lead in reducing emmisions. This can be a win if we invest in the right technologies that can later be sold to the emerging economies, though I fear we have missed that boat with China leading the way in that respect.

Surely it’s only the current emissions that we need to be concerned with? What is gained by looking at things that happened 200 years ago?

The 2nd highlighted bit… Are you suggesting we should feel guilty because our country was at the forefront of the industrial revolution and we need to atone somehow for the “sins” of our ancestors? That’s truly bizarre.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely it’s only the current emissions that we need to be concerned with? What is gained by looking at things that happened 200 years ago?

The 2nd highlighted bit… Are you suggesting we should feel guilty because our country was at the forefront of the industrial revolution and we need to atone somehow for the “sins” of our ancestors? That’s truly bizarre.
It's really necessary to look at both!
Historically, the current crisis was not even considered - for several reasons. But developing nations must be allowed to use at least some similar 'short-cuts' to development to those countries that unknowingly thought they weren't killing the planet!
But to castigate developing countries - and I would put China in that category - is wrong imo. It does, however, need to change and undue reluctance should be open to criticism. US on the other hand definitely needs to have pressure applied to become greener - as it's high on both per capita and overall contribution!
India's last minute amendment to 'the statement' was, imo, reprehensible, though understandable as above. A more aggressive term than 'phase down' was/is needed.

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Let's look at it from the developing nations' point of you, the west made itself very wealthy from the industrial revolution and exploited the natural reserves of what is some cases now developing nations. nations. Then just at the point start to catch up, the west says you have to stop using the very fuel that is helping them catch up but we will not help you. Does that look reasonable to you, because it seems to be what you're advocating?

It is your spin on what I said that was bizarre. We need to use the wealth that the industrial revolution helped to create to help make the world a better place for future generations. It seems to me that would be a better use of our resources than to continue to trash the world with them. Our great-grandchildren will not be thanking us if we don't.

Do note that I am talking about the industrialised countries in general, not the UK as largely we are a little ahead of the game though we need to ensure our plans going forward are robust and not based on over-optimism of what science can achieve.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Let's look at it from the developing nations' point of you, the west made itself very wealthy from the industrial revolution and exploited the natural reserves of what is some cases now developing nations. nations. Then just at the point start to catch up, the west says you have to stop using the very fuel that is helping them catch up but we will not help you. Does that look reasonable to you, because it seems to be what you're advocating?

It is your spin on what I said that was bizarre. We need to use the wealth that the industrial revolution helped to create to help make the world a better place for future generations. It seems to me that would be a better use of our resources than to continue to trash the world with them. Our great-grandchildren will not be thanking us if we don't.

Do note that I am talking about the industrialised countries in general, not the UK as largely we are a little ahead of the game though we need to ensure our plans going forward are robust and not based on over-optimism of what science can achieve.

I take your point, but the situation is what it is. And saying it is ok for the "developing" nations to use fossil fuels because the West did -sauce for the goose.....-etc, is not good enough.
The planet cannot take much more, some say any more, so arguing that it is alright for an emerging nation to have its turn, is not going to help.
India and China are wrong on this. But they, particularly the latter, have some very clever people.
The west should invite India and China to collaborat, urgently, to crack the nuclear fusion problem. If that can be done, there is much clean energy for everyone. Urgent use of wind and waves too.
It can be done, but,
It is nationalism which is the problem. And traditions.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Re your 2nd paragraph. Didn't you know? This is the latest fashionable game the West should be playing. The U K is very good at it.
First, read some history, take a particular view, then find a lawyer, then off you go.....demanding this that and the other.?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's really necessary to look at both!
Historically, the current crisis was not even considered - for several reasons. But developing nations must be allowed to use at least some similar 'short-cuts' to development to those countries that unknowingly thought they weren't killing the planet!
But to castigate developing countries - and I would put China in that category - is wrong imo. It does, however, need to change and undue reluctance should be open to criticism. US on the other hand definitely needs to have pressure applied to become greener - as it's high on both per capita and overall contribution!
India's last minute amendment to 'the statement' was, imo, reprehensible, though understandable as above. A more aggressive term than 'phase down' was/is needed.

So your saying even though we now know that burning fossil fuel is bad for the environment we must allow China and India to do it because we did it? That’s nonsense. If it’s wrong it’s wrong.

The West did it because there was no alternative at the time and we was unaware of the damage it caused, now we do and there are alternatives. China and India could easily power there countries with clean affordable nuclear energy.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The West has created lots of enviromental damage through time, but because of that we now have the technology to not need to as we did. The devloping countries have the ability to use that technology themselves thus saving the need to do the dirty stuff we did. Whats wrong with that?
I note they can still afford space programs and the like...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The West has created lots of enviromental damage through time, but because of that we now have the technology to not need to as we did. The devloping countries have the ability to use that technology themselves thus saving the need to do the dirty stuff we did. Whats wrong with that?
I note they can still afford space programs and the like...

"Because India is outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty due to its weapons programme, it was for 34 years largely excluded from trade in nuclear plant and materials, which hampered its development of civil nuclear energy until 2009."

I mean that might have delayed them slightly.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I take your point, but the situation is what it is. And saying it is ok for the "developing" nations to use fossil fuels because the West did -sauce for the goose.....-etc, is not good enough.
The planet cannot take much more, some say any more, so arguing that it is alright for an emerging nation to have its turn, is not going to help.
India and China are wrong on this. But they, particularly the latter, have some very clever people.
The west should invite India and China to collaborat, urgently, to crack the nuclear fusion problem. If that can be done, there is much clean energy for everyone. Urgent use of wind and waves too.
It can be done, but,
It is nationalism which is the problem. And traditions.
I am not at all saying that China, India etc dont have to reduce their emmisions, but that hhe west have to help and encourage them to do so. F&D seemed to be saying what we did would make no difference when China etc is doing little. The point I am trying to make is why should China use what little resourse (per head) it has when the main causes of global warming are not using its vast resources to do so. Couldn't agree more with your last point, the world need to work together to solve its problems.
The US continue to be the largest emitter of CO2 per head.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not at all saying that China, India etc dont have to reduce their emmisions, but that hhe west have to help and encourage them to do so. F&D seemed to be saying what we did would make no difference when China etc is doing little. The point I am trying to make is why should China use what little resourse (per head) it has when the main causes of global warming are not using its vast resources to do so. Couldn't agree more with your last point, the world need to work together to solve its problems.
The US continue to be the largest emitter of CO2 per head.

Everyone loves to try and look on the negatives of the deal yesterday to suit their agenda to not bother and oh their not so why do I have to

Rather than all the positives of getting a deal through. A very important deal that could make a huge difference to the future of our race

But no I want to buy a cheap gas guzzler.. to hell with the planet I should be able to do what I want because India changed the wording

End of the day people are selfish and hate change