Red Wine

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Lots of good recommendations, but it's hard to tell what's likely to appeal in the 'classic' range, one of which the OP describes as 'banana skins' compared to that of a 2.99 'unknown'. I'd suggest more of the Manor Creek!!

Of the (modern) classics, I'm a 'current but waning' fan of Argentinian Malbec - was 'best value a couple of years ago but has gone the same way as Chilean Merlot and being priced out of my 'great value' slot. Chilean Carmenere appeals to me and. Tesco are currently (or at least have been as some of their offers expired yesterday!) their 'Finest' Tempranillo for £5.50 which is pretty good price, flavour and quality (though probably a bit 'heavy' for the OP imo). Majestic - who now only require 6 bottles to be purchased for discount but will do single bottle sales at the non-discounted price - do a Definition (own brand) Rhone that was superb at Christmas, 'beating', for me, the Vasse Felix Cab Merlot that is my 'special' one these days. Majestic also do tastings, so it's possible to try and find one that you like that way!

Of those otherwise mentioned Rioja, Wolf Blass or even Jacob's Creek is a pretty good place to start. The Wolf Blass is defying the increase in the Aussie Dollar exchange rate. Lower priced Rhones are also significantly more approachable than other 'classics' and not so heavily flavoured. Southern Italians can be similarly good value for a newbie, but Italy in general just has too much to really recommend.

Oh and 1 piece of Wine Snobbery....There is no such thing as Chilean Rioja (though Carmenere often shows some of the same bricky/earthy old wood style)!

@BobMac That's some sacrifice for the diet!

Btw. While White is perfectly acceptable on its own, Red tends to be better if matched with food. I'm looking forward to another Argentinian Malbec (another 'Definition' from Majestic) with the Fillet Steak later!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
What sparked the renewed interest from post #41 onwards was that there was a spam post earlier today that has since been removed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A surprising number of votes for Argentinian Malbec. Same grape as Beaujolais and is nice served slightly chilled, I find.

Er...No it's not! Unless you are corrupted by the Californians!

(Proper) Beaujolais is made from Gamay! I'm generally not a fan, though did once have a fabulous Moulin a Vent that I paid less than £2 for!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chilean Rioja.

No such animal. Rioja is classified as "Protected designation of origin (PDO)" and can only be produced in that region of Spain.

Red (tinto) is predominantly tempranillo with a small proportion of Garnacha Tinta, Mazuelo and Graciano.

There are also rose and white Riojas.

Last edited:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am now on dry January :)

Was frustratingly disappointed with my Xmas wines with one exception.
Apothic Red (Californian) has been marked down from a tenner to 7.50 in a few places. Quite heavy normally but this year seems to be a bit lighter and mrs sev112 took a liking to it so went back for a few more :)

Took a punt on 3 expensive bottles from Lidl and they all disappointed,
However their £10 champagne that won Metro's recommendation in Dec was very good so I let them off a tiny bit.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wile trawling through the cupboards at Xmas I came across a wrapped unopened bottle of Fonseca Port from 1983.

Quick trawl of Internet suggests it sells for between £50 and £75 at the moment !

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site
Shiraz, Shiraz or Shiraz for me with the occasional Rioja, or if my missus is drinking then Merlot.

The op mention wanting fruity and low tannin... in which case a Bardolino is a good choice, if a little less common in the shops. It's produced overlooking lake Garda and we spent a lovely afternoon tasting at a vineyard there a few years back... A glass of it now always reminds me of a great holiday there.

S

Snelly

Amarone is my favourite red wine. Absolutely beautiful. Expensive but good value. All should try it.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Forgot to mention have a regular monthly meet with a mate of mine today where we put the world to rights over a decent bottle of red or port and some cheese. Will let you know this afternoon what we go for I think it is his pick this month

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Love Shiraz but it doesn't like me for some reason....also not a fan of South African pinotage or the Argentinian Malbec. Prefer Rioja or a decent Chianti or Chillean merlot for value. Campo Viejo Rioja is my current favourite and can pick it up for £6 on offer. I find french wine in general is better if you spend a bit more but that said, personally I think Chateauneuf is a bit over-rated....one of those people like "because they should" if you ask me.......bit like Champagne before they recently invented Prosecco!! :D

D

Deleted member 16999

A few years back The Times ran a £30.00 and under Red wine article were the "tasters" were blindfolded, the winner was ALDI's Toro Loco at £4.99, not a bad little red and decent for introducing people to Red Wine. still available and worth a try.