Red Stakes Hazard

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

Just learning my way round things. I think this is a fairly basic rule.

Hole played yesterday has a ditch across the fairway diagonally marked with red stakes. I played my tee shot, it landed on the ridge just on the far side of the ditch (so cleared the ditch), then bounced back into the water.

I think my options are:

i) replay tee shot

ii) back as far as I like on a line between the flag and where the ball crossed the imaginary line between the red posts, drop, must be within two club lengths of the line

iii) drop within two club lengths of where it crossed the imaginary line between the posts, no nearer the hole

All at penalty of one stroke.

Is that right?

If I did not know where the ball went into the hazard, I think my only option is i). Is that right?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you find the ball in the 'penalty area' (new rules terminology) but are not sure exactly where it crossed into it, you are allowed to use your best judgement to estimate where it crossed.

You also have a 4th option which is to play the ball as it lies with no penalty strokes. May not be sensible in the situation you describe but it sometimes is a reasonable play in a penalty area.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

Just learning my way round things. I think this is a fairly basic rule.

Hole played yesterday has a ditch across the fairway diagonally marked with red stakes. I played my tee shot, it landed on the ridge just on the far side of the ditch (so cleared the ditch), then bounced back into the water.

I think my options are:

i) replay tee shot

ii) back as far as I like on a line between the flag and where the ball crossed the imaginary line between the red posts, drop, must be within two club lengths of the line

iii) drop within two club lengths of where it crossed the imaginary line between the posts, no nearer the hole

All at penalty of one stroke.

Is that right?

If I did not know where the ball went into the hazard, I think my only option is i). Is that right?

Correct, except ii) should read "within 1 club length of the line". And as IanG said you may play it as it lies.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're mixing up the options there.
He's referring to dropping back in line with the pin as far as you want, where now you can drop within one club length of the line that goes back in line.
Apologies i am . He was answering the last part of option 2 in OP
I thought he was answering option 3 .

Apologies i misread reply