Recommendation within 30mins of Chesterfield

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As a treat for late May I can play as good a course and challenge as I can find within about 30mins drive from Chesterfield.

Sitting top of my list at the moment are Notts (Hollinwell) or Lindrick. Any other suggestions please, and if Notts or Lindrick are the best options then which of the two?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I should add that I most prob have the ok to spend what is required to play Hollinwell. So though it’s not that budget is no constraint…I’m playing with a pro and as he doesn’t play that many rounds away from his own club he wants to play somewhere right proper and he doesn’t really know very well the clubs of north midlands up to Sheffield…obviously he knows of Hollinwell and Lindrick though I don’t think he’s played either.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Being born and raised in the area, it is pure comedy to think that this photo was taken within 3 miles of Mansfield and Sutton-in-Ashfield.

View attachment 41996

I've never been to Hollinwell, but it's on the bucket list.

It’s a belter, Rich, that’s for sure. I’ve played a few opens there and it’s a top quality venue, fully justifying its status in the past as an Open qualifier. Off the back tees it’s an absolute beast, but still very playable.

And, please, no flip flops in the clubhouse ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Being born and raised in the area, it is pure comedy to think that this photo was taken within 3 miles of Mansfield and Sutton-in-Ashfield.

View attachment 41996

The approach to Hollinwell is well strange. You drive down a long uninspiring track, then You drop down through the trees and Wow. That is the kind of view you get driving all the way down the side of the 18th Up to the back of the clubhouse.

Having played Sherwood, my closest course, Lindrick and Hollinwell I would plump for,
Course = Hollinwell.
History= Lindrick.
All three course have a lovely clubhouse. I don’t think you would be disappointed playing any of them three.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The approach to Hollinwell is well strange. You drive down a long uninspiring track, then You drop down through the trees and Wow. That is the kind of view you get driving all the way down the side of the 18th Up to the back of the clubhouse.

Having played Sherwood, my closest course, Lindrick and Hollinwell I would plump for,
Course = Hollinwell.
History= Lindrick.
All three course have a lovely clubhouse. I don’t think you would be disappointed playing any of them three.
Cheers…I’ve actually played Lindrick…though 25+ yrs ago. And me and my mate had a round of sandwiches and a beer for lunch. We had to put our jackets on of course as we were seated in the main dining room. Just the two of us in a splendidly huge room sat at the end of an enormous long table. The sandwiches came on a silver platter of course, and the girl was in full ‘formal waitress’ uniform.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cheers…I’ve actually played Lindrick…though 25+ yrs ago. And me and my mate had a round of sandwiches and a beer for lunch. We had to put our jackets on of course as we were seated in the main dining room. Just the two of us in a splendidly huge room sat at the end of an enormous long table. The sandwiches came on a silver platter of course, and the girl was in full ‘formal waitress’ uniform.
Yup me and a member there were relegated to the Ryder room. I had to laugh, I ordered a bag of crisps to eat in the car on me way home. She brought them in a bowl. I asked if could bring back the bowl the following week.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think the Lindrick clubhouse renovations have gone too upmarket in an attempt to justify recent large price hikes.

The Ryder room used to be great but now it's just like any other plush corporate bar, no longer feels welcoming to me.
My favourite scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast were no longer on the menu either. :eek:

I've played there quite a number of times but I think my visit last year is likely to be my last.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

View attachment 41996

Used to work on Sherwood business park were Kodak used to be.

Used to pick the cobs up on Saturdays from Lemo estate in Kirkby. I have seen some sights on there!

20th April there’s an open with Linksnet golf days £134 with big prizes and a good raffle.

RichA

Visit site
Used to work on Sherwood business park were Kodak used to be.

Used to pick the cobs up on Saturdays from Lemo estate in Kirkby. I have seen some sights on there!

20th April there’s an open with Linksnet golf days £134 with big prizes and a good raffle.
It's getting to the point that we need a Mansfield survivor's thread where we can all communicate in Nottinghamese.