Really struggling with this 'simple' drill....

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the last lesson with my instructor, he asked me to:

-Adopt my stance and grip
-Taking the club back so it is parallel with the ground whilst rotating my wrists to open the club face
-Coming back down rotating my wrists so that the clubface is square
-Following through so that the clubface is closed

200 balls later and I have yet to hit a ball well. The majority of them hook (I am a major slicer), or rather go in a straight North West direction.

Getting a bit frustrated with my lack of progress here. When I do a full natural swing, I can hit the ball reasonably nicely with some slices thrown in there. When I do a full swing whilst concentrating on rotating my wrists clockwise, it's a disaster.

Is it worth sticking with this drill? Is it completely necessary to force my wrists to open, square then close through the swing, or can other drills help me manage this without thinking about it?

Sorry- no videos to provide.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not doubting your instructor,

But,

Why would you want to roll your wrist open in the back swing. Surely this approach relies a alot on timing them closed again into impact?

Or have I missed something :confused:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I nearly started this thread with "I'm not doubting my instructor...... but". It just doesn't feel natural to me.

Particularly because it's only a 1/4 swing (I think! I'm taking the club parallel to the ground) which is a bit like a chip swing which my V-Easy has nailed completely (Fankoo Bob).

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct.

Although I watched a Mark Crossfield video where he teaches a takeaway drill which asks you to do roughly the same thing. He says you can tell if your takeaway is right if when you stop your swing half-way and hold it, you should be able to turn your body 90 degrees and set up perfectly without moving the club face.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Correct.

Although I watched a Mark Crossfield video where he teaches a takeaway drill which asks you to do roughly the same thing. He says you can tell if your takeaway is right if when you stop your swing half-way and hold it, you should be able to turn your body 90 degrees and set up perfectly without moving the club face.

I did this whe I first took up the game and just couldn't get the timing right.

Now when I take the club away I don't rotate my wrists open. Half way bak the to of the club points to 11 o'Clock and, roughly, mirrors my spine angle.

I have no idea if this is right, but it works for me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Now when I take the club away I don't rotate my wrists open. Half way bak the to of the club points to 11 o'Clock and, roughly, mirrors my spine angle.

I tend to do what the OP has been advised and have the toe pointing skywards but my pro is trying to get me to get the club face with my spine angle when parallel/half way back. It does feel awkward still but the results speak for themselves as I have a tendancy to deliver the club open and add loft/lose distance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What you are doing is right. When your club is parallell with your spine angle it will look a little shut but in fact it is perfectly square to the swing plane and if kept like this will return square.

OP: I just cant understand how anyone can suggest that manipulating the clubface open in the backswing then shutting it on the way down is a good idea. It requires perfect timing to square the clubface. Next time you see him ask him to explain how it is supposed to work.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
View attachment 2704

Take a look at Luke, that's how it should be

View attachment 2705

What you are doing is right. When your club is parallell with your spine angle it will look a little shut but in fact it is perfectly square to the swing plane and if kept like this will return square.

OP: I just cant understand how anyone can suggest that manipulating the clubface open in the backswing then shutting it on the way down is a good idea. It requires perfect timing to square the clubface. Next time you see him ask him to explain how it is supposed to work.

:whoo:

It used to feel, almost, like hooding the club face, when in actual fact it's just moved back without the wrists rolling open.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Holy wrists Batman!!!! I'm off to the range.

Bobmac- I really wish you didn't live so far away.

I like how Luke's left arm is so close to his body. I was looking at a 'headcover under armpit' drill which I'm going to try too.

Bob- you should really release an instructional DVD.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you follow this rolling wrists advice you will screw up your backswing, trust me as i was doing just that

Try it then look at your right elbow at the top and it will be wrong

I have just re-built my back swing and i am now convinced that you must not roll the wrists or forearms in the backswing as it puts it off plane ( very laid off )

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now when I take the club away I don't rotate my wrists open. Half way bak the to of the club points to 11 O'clock and, roughly, mirrors my spine angle.

Spot on.

I also think everyone should copy Luke.

I learned this little secret a good long time ago. Bye bye slicing....

I'd never go back to the fanning/toe up business.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not doubting your instructor,

But,

Why would you want to roll your wrist open in the back swing. Surely this approach relies a alot on timing them closed again into impact?

Or have I missed something :confused:

Does seem peculiar. I'd suggest you contact your Trainer and get him/her to confirm both the drill itself and what it's meant to achieve.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Does seem peculiar. I'd suggest you contact your Trainer and get him/her to confirm both the drill itself and what it's meant to achieve.

As its a drill and 1/4 swing there could be a reason behind its purpose.
It's not something that my coach teaches in fact he dislikes the idea.
His method is that you make a good back swing and turn through and the club will come down and square itself up as you turn through.
But I have seen a few guys who he has employed over the past couple of years that teach the rolling the wrist method but most people I seen struggled to grasp it.
Best to do as Foxholer suggests and ask the reasons for the drill.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Teaching to roll the wrists is adding a layer of unnecessary complexity and unpredictability. The quarter turn is simply a one piece shoulder turn, getting to the position shown by Luke Donald. Adding wrists will mean pulls and pushes all over the place.

I have a mate who rolls his wrists but has been doing for 30 years so knows how to use it properly.

Personally, I would ignore this teaching unless he can demonstrate to you what he's really trying to achieve.