Realistic Handicap Goals for 2015

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
So as most of you here will know I have recently taken up Golf and am in the process of having lessons and looking for clubs to join.

Once I join a club I would to start getting my Handicap measured. Currently I try aim for two range sessions a week and one round.

What I'd like to know is, how soon after joining a club should I try get my Handicap measured, is it even recommended to do this in your first year? And secondly, what is a realistic Handicap to aim for throughout the year?

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
So as most of you here will know I have recently taken up Golf and am in the process of having lessons and looking for clubs to join.

Once I join a club I would to start getting my Handicap measured. Currently I try aim for two range sessions a week and one round.

What I'd like to know is, how soon after joining a club should I try get my Handicap measured, is it even recommended to do this in your first year? And secondly, what is a realistic Handicap to aim for throughout the year?

You get your handicap at your new club as soon as possible ideally, then you can play in the competitions and that's how you gain the experience to get the handicap down.

Approximately what over par do you get in your weekly casual round?

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm tracking my handicap on Golfshake. Started seriously in July and usually hit around 110-115, so playing off of 28 Going to try and get down to 20 by the end of this year. I play every weekend and practice quite a lot so confident I can do it.

U

User62651

I'd say get 3 cards in for handicap asap (you cant go higher than 28 as a man) to play comps and get experience but more importantly is to get really up to speed on the rules of golf especially things like your penalty dropping options and hazards and also get familiar with good etiquette so when you do find yourself playing with strangers you make friends and not enemies.

D

Deleted member 15344

I personally wouldn't set a HC Goal for your first year

Look to enjoy yourself first and get involved in the club to its fullest

See where you are on the course , meet new people - get an initial HC and go from there

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wish I had got my handicap immediately upon joining . Instead i played on course but outside the comps and became capable along the way. My first handicap was therefore 18 and i've never ever had 2 shots on a hole.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally wouldn't set a HC Goal for your first year

Look to enjoy yourself first and get involved in the club to its fullest

See where you are on the course , meet new people - get an initial HC and go from there

Agree with this.

Your handicap would likely be mid to high 20's from what you say, but it's really tough to tell.
No need to set a goal until you've got your handicap and settled in to the club. First year is for embedding.

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last year was my first year playing as I had to wrap in footy. I joined a club straight away and got my green card (needed over here) so that I could play in comps as I like the competition - ended the year playing off 20. Hoping the arrival of the new baby doesn't stop me playing as much this year.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, what I meant by setting goals is, if I get a handicap and its 28 for example when first measured, is it realistic to by the end of the year aim for 24 etc? I see what you're all saying about just getting integrated and have fun but I think having something to work towards also makes sense. I'm playing an 18 hole this weekend so will start keeping my score cards, I've also downloaded an app an iPhone app called Swing x Swing to start keeping track of my score cards.

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK, what I meant by setting goals is, if I get a handicap and its 28 for example when first measured, is it realistic to by the end of the year aim for 24 etc? I see what you're all saying about just getting integrated and have fun but I think having something to work towards also makes sense. I'm playing an 18 hole this weekend so will start keeping my score cards, I've also downloaded an app an iPhone app called Swing x Swing to start keeping track of my score cards.

I don't see why not - only you know how much time you have to play and how serious you want to take it though. I think most lads will have a target for the year

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site

I'd say that's definitely achievable and not a silly target.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a new golfer, go out and play. Learn from the mistakes and savour the triumphs. Get a handicap once you join a club and play the competitions as it's a great way to meet other members, learn a lot about the rules and test your skills under pressure. For now though I wouldn't worry about the handicap

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
Hopefully joining my first club in a couple of weeks and keen to get my handicap asap. I've had two lessons so far and the difference already is noticeable. I would imagine I'll start off on 28 (unless I get lucky with my three rounds) My two targets for the year are breaking 100 (I will hopefully do this sooner rather than later, I'm down to 102) and get a cut from 28.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Straight away"

I put in a card a week(ish) after a few rounds and having introduced myself to a few members (I had to learn what a handicap was and how to get one first!).

As soon as the weather is decent enough put in some of cards and see what you get, you don't have to rush them all in over a couple of weeks but the sooner the better!

I found I improved very quickly after getting mine which did lead to a couple of competition wins, this is to be expected if you get a handicap straight away however.