Realistic goal setting for first year playing golf

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe, but I'm definitely not alone and have met many who have transferred across from other sports to quickly establish a high degree of competence at golf because of it.
In order I would say hockey is no1, then cricket followed by more general racket sports. Just playing the odd bit of hockey may help but when played to a high level (national) you need skills that translate straight across, as with cricket.

Having played for 4 decades I know many, many, who struggle to break 100, let alone 90 - some of whom have a lot of lessons, some never have one. Most would also struggle to play tennis (not all!)
As ever it's a matter of degrees.

I play multi-sports and agree with you, except for cricket which I found is a hindrance to golf. A lot of top cricketers play golf with their other hand because causes issues.

In theory they should translate because they are similar, in reality they are too similar with just a few differences, where those differences cause huge problems. In my experience:

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe, but I'm definitely not alone and have met many who have transferred across from other sports to quickly establish a high degree of competence at golf because of it.
In order I would say hockey is no1, then cricket followed by more general racket sports.

I have played a number of sports with the main ones being boxing and MMA in recent years but I have played Tennis (and Table Tennis!) fairly regularly since I was a child due to my parents involvement.

I definitely agree that while they are obviously very different, there are traits you need to be good at all of them so playing one does help with how quick you pick up another.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played a number of sports with the main ones being boxing and MMA in recent years but I have played Tennis (and Table Tennis!) fairly regularly since I was a child due to my parents involvement.

I definitely agree that while they are obviously very different, there are traits you need to be good at all of them so playing one does help with how quick you pick up another.

Indeed. In your case balance, flexibility and core strength combined with hand eye coordination are all a given - which is certainly not the case for the entire population of golfers!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play multi-sports and agree with you, except for cricket which I found is a hindrance to golf. A lot of top cricketers play golf with their other hand because causes issues.

In theory they should translate because they are similar, in reality they are too similar with just a few differences, where those differences cause huge problems. In my experience:

i would tend to agree about cricket, though the hand eye coordination must help in some way. I played cricket to a very good standard and found as i was technically very correct as a batsman i tended to hit a checked cover drive most of the time. though i did get from 24 and never played golf before to 12 withing 3 months. all those fault caught up with me then and i had to lean a golf swing:rofl:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

As originally posted such translations carry potential barriers to perfection!

Played against an ex county cricketer last year who only took up golf (ever swung a club) when he retired from first class cricket. He was playing off 4 very quickly - but IMO he wasn't going to get much lower, and the course had a lot to do with his handicap. Swing was measured and balanced, ball striking absolutely consistent and timing spot on....judgement phenomenal- which translated to his short game. In fact he played a long game that was basically a long short game! Didn't generate enough clubhead speed to deliver much in the way of spin, or height, it had a deadly chip and run from 230 yds and in! Worked for him. Stick hazards tight to the fronts of the greens and he would struggle.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would say you two are the exception rather than the rule. Some people at our club have been playing for years, having lessons, and still play off 28.

I’m also another who improved quickly and for HC down quickly and I know a few others - people who play regularly will get their HC to improve to a level where their natural ability peaks - i played cricket to a decent level and then hockey to a very good level.

there are prob more who improve than there are people who don’t. But at some people everyone will have some sort of improvement and then peak - there are also loads who spend lesson after lesson and practise non stop but don’t improve - the reason is because they have hit their level and just won’t get any better.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As originally posted such translations carry potential barriers to perfection!

Played against an ex county cricketer last year who only took up golf (ever swung a club) when he retired from first class cricket. He was playing off 4 very quickly - but IMO he wasn't going to get much lower, and the course had a lot to do with his handicap. Swing was measured and balanced, ball striking absolutely consistent and timing spot on....judgement phenomenal- which translated to his short game. In fact he played a long game that was basically a long short game! Didn't generate enough clubhead speed to deliver much in the way of spin, or height, it had a deadly chip and run from 230 yds and in! Worked for him. Stick hazards tight to the fronts of the greens and he would struggle.

I think transitioning from one to the other does have benefits. My issue was I was playing both concurrently which just messed up my golf and cricket

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know putting stats by themselves aren't the be all and end all but they are an indication. If you are averaging over 36 putts then you are 3 putting or worse on more than one occasion which is obviously an easy win.

Hitting you drive 300 yards down the middle is the same amount of strokes as missing a 3 footer.

And I know that you can miss the HIR chip close and 1 putt and reduce your average but that is my point too, if you can do that then you will score well

Agreed. Some putting stats like distance of putts holed are quite revealing

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
You got to love natural ability .a good friend of mine never played golf but used to play hockey to a high level decided to have a knock and within two years was off a 7 handicap so natural ability is massive if you got it you got it .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In order I would say hockey is no1, then cricket followed by more general racket sports. Just playing the odd bit of hockey may help but when played to a high level (national) you need skills that translate straight across, as with cricket.

Having played for 4 decades I know many, many, who struggle to break 100, let alone 90 - some of whom have a lot of lessons, some never have one. Most would also struggle to play tennis (not all!)
As ever it's a matter of degrees.
I played tennis all through school, and hockey for a while as well. I don't think either them have remotely helped me play golf.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Have fun
2. Get experience

I started around the same place you did, for me the biggest gain was from the time I spent around the putting green. I was often joined by the assistant pros and low handicap players who I would do chipping and putting games against.

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
I am with you on the putting and chipping as an area that is probably overlooked by many.

I have found that spending just 15 mins before a round has probably saved me a couple of shots. Having discovered this, it is a surprise to see so many members at my club walk straight on to the first tee without any kind of warmup.

I have found that my first tee shot is a lot better for it as well.

On a side note, I played my first true round of golf in ridiculously windy conditions a couple of days ago. It really is night and day! I struggled the entire round with distance control, I naively assumed I could just go one club more than I usually did and it would be fine. How wrong I was!