Reading greens better

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At last my game is back on track and now i need to improve my green reading

Now i understand the obvious slopes etc but how do you read very subtle breaks / lines etc

When i get down low it looks flat and i often think straight putt until i see the ball wander off to the left or right

Any books or good tips on how to learn to read greens better ??

Please dont tell me the water flow direction idea, this doesnt seem to help me on very minor slope changes that visually i cannot spot !

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
View the hole from as many different angles as you can in a timely fashion. The more of a 360 view you get you'll notice little details that you wouldn't necessarily see from the most obvious angles.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i try to look at most of my putts from behind the ball and behind the hole. side views dont really help me that much i find! thats not to say i wont look as im making my way around the putt!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Over the last year I have used the same preparation for every putt - longer than 18" or so. Part of this is really looking at the line from behind. I try and imagine the track the ball will take to the hole. Once I have done this and without moving from my crouch I sway a bit to the left and right to see if my reading of the line changes. This is more a case of seeing the line from the putter one side and then into the hole the other. It does seem to be working - but as mentioned - practice - I do it EVERY putt.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If it is the very subtle breaks you are struggling with, I take it you mean as the ball loses speed around the hole? If the ball is travelling with any amount of pace on it, it's not really going to take the subtle breaks. If this is the case, look at the hole from behind the ball to see if one side of the hole is higher than the other. This will help you to see if there is any break around the hole as the ball loses it's pace.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Anyone interested in the Aimpoint way of reading greens there is a session at Worsley GC in Manchester on Oct 4th. Contact 07790940537 if you are interested. I found it has made a world of difference to how I look at putts and the amount of borrow I now allow. Not cheap but like a lot of things you get what you pay for and I thought it was value for money