reader test panel

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some good points in there Mike have been on the list for a while and havent tested anything yet ;), i think its sad that someoneone would put the item they were given on Fleabay.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have just posted a long reply on the thread about reader test panel - as the original thread has slipped to page 2 I'm posting a link here as i think its important everyone reads it

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk//showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/137094/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Hi Mike,
This is something I've had a niggle with for a while. Posts slip down the pages, even if you add a new post. Other forums that I visit always return threads to the top of the list if there is a new post added. Is this not something you could do on this forum? I know you can do this in our individual account settings, but it would be much better if the forum did it automatically for everyone.

As for your points in the thread, totally agree. Just need to get around to sending in my details so you can add me to the list :).

FourRight

Medal Winner
Visit site
Need My Wedge

Within your user options once you have logged in, there is an option to sort the posts by "Last Post" not "Date Created".

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
....... I know you can do this in our individual account settings, but it would be much better if the forum did it automatically for everyone.

I know that I can do this in my own settings, just suggesting that as a number of forums do this automatically, it might make it easier to do it here too. I'm sure there are some members that aren't aware of this feature, therefore are unaware when older threads are updated with new posts.

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the reader test page is good thing to have it keeps everyone interested form single H/C's to hackers.

I have yet to test anything but agree with the comment that you shuld have an opinion within one or to goes testing.

I most certainly do not feel it should be pulled from the mag as GM is the only mag to offer this chance to readers and this makes us the reader feel more involved.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mike's points all sound & reasonable. Particularly about the GM style. That's why we like it, and, obviously, Mike & Co are the ones who put it together & edit it. As to long term testing? In the shops, some stuff we all dismiss before we've even taken it off the shelf. Other stuff we'll give half an hour on the range and feel we've given it a fair go. Clothes we'll wear once and then love or hate. We really don't need a month or more to give a "fair test".

As to whether it's a worthwhile feature - yep, keep it in.

(So, you can send me some stuff to test now please... and it doesn't need to be top of the range)

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Mono
we have had quite a few juniors test gear for RTP - I'm sure eaglehunter has been in, Liam Austin was in the first ever one and in May issue a 16 year old lad Liam Inglis tested stuff

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Mono
we have had quite a few juniors test gear for RTP - I'm sure eaglehunter has been in, Liam Austin was in the first ever one and in May issue a 16 year old lad Liam Inglis tested stuff

lol - its just you mono!! What can GM possibly send you that you haven't already owned and then sold? :D

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mike, as someone who has tested in the past I have noticed there are some bits and bobs that feature in the mag that haven't actually been reviewed so for the record I am willing to test ...

The New ROLEX Master II watch

or

The New Omega one.

I am always willing to take one for the team !!!!!!!!!!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The server ballsed up after writin a realy good response to this so here is the short version:

MikeH - ignore miserable old gits and please carry on with the RTP. It is an amazing thing for a magazine to do on a regular basis. We're not all ingrates.

"I haven't been a tester yet wah" - boo-hoo. I'm waiting (along with hundreds of others) for my turn and even though sod's law says I'll get a brush tee or something equally rubbish, it's still FREEand all I have to do is write a few words. The whole point is golfers giving their opinions to other golfers and I seemt to think that this is a good thing - even if it is like Greg's Top Flites!

Just goes to show that in this country these days you can't even give something to someone without them complaining...

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
MP600 still going fantastic here Mike, not a chance of it going on some generic online marketplace from me!
Any chance of any newer versions from Mizuno any time soon, I could compare old vs new :)(did that sound too desperate?)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
MikeH - ignore miserable old gits and please carry on with the RTP. It is an amazing thing for a magazine to do on a regular basis. We're not all ingrates.

Just goes to show that in this country these days you can't even give something to someone without them complaining...
What a load of utter pish. What you have said is exactly what is wrong with this country today. Never mind if it is any good, as long as I get something for nothing! Hand out looking for a freebie, with no thought to the contribution that you won't have to bother making.

"I haven't been a tester yet wah" - boo-hoo. I'm waiting (along with hundreds of others) for my turn and even though sod's law says I'll get a brush tee or something equally rubbish, it's still FREEand all I have to do is write a few words.
I have been a tester, so perhaps understand what this is about before spouting off?

The fact it is free, has nothing to do with it, it's whether the section is actually worthwhile, and judging by the response of yourself, and hapless, then no it isn't, you are simply out to score a freebie, a balanced review is a complete afterthought.

The whole point is golfers giving their opinions to other golfers and I seemt to think that this is a good thing - even if it is like Greg's Top Flites!
The whole point is, ARE they giving their opinions, or are they so enamoured by GM's generosity that they gush like a drunk who's been crossing his legs for five hours?

Just goes to show that in this country some people will do anything, defend anything, as long as FREE is involved for them somewhere along the way.

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have you ever got anything any good to say?

All I have seen is you putting the magazine to all love or other members of this forum down!